Thursday, February 15, 2018

A Kitchen with a Skirt

 Tuesday I bought 3 yards of Waverly fabric and made a skirt for my sink. I wanted a warm floral print that would blend well with the woodwork and have yellow tones that would match the paint color. (Oh - yes, note the yellow paint above.)
 Adam finished the two counters on either side of the stove. I'm very proud of his work. He was dissatisfied because he's not a carpenter nor a craftsman with wood. But he did his best, and I think the quarter-round looks quite good! Again, stained (Early American 230 is the color), with 3 coats of polyurethane.
 In spite of putting a tight elastic in a casing on the top of the skirt, the middle still sags a little. (It's attached on the sides with loops on hooks on the sides of the sink.) My solution was to put a small thumb tack through the fabric, into the sink front, to lift it up. It worked well.
 Here's a close-up of the fabric:
Regarding the issue of the overhead bump-outs, we did bash through the bottom of it to see what was inside ...
 And ... there are finished walls in there! Yay! So the bump-outs will be removed.
Adam also worked on the trim around the doors and walls.

 I still have painting to do, as you see.
Adam stained and sealed his bread table too. It looks so nice:
 I was thinking ... after the kitchen is finished the back door will definitely be the ugliest thing in the room.
 

Adam was thinking the same thing. So he sanded away a bit of the icky paint and found underneath some lovely tight-grained pine. He will sand the door down to wood, stain and seal it. We're staining and sealing so many things, I hope we don't forget and stain and seal each other, haha!

The next step is going to Lowe's and buying 1x12 pine boards for the shelves. Adam will make brackets himself. Much staining and sealing will occur. I will paint the walls ... and paint, and paint. I do think once we bite the bullet and start that last hurdle, it will go quickly. Here's hoping!

13 comments:

Chris Griffith said...

Can’t tell what the sink surround is but I did a skirt for a vanity for Bethany and used heavy duty Velcro that stuck on. It worked great. Just an idea.

Gumbo Lily said...

Looking good! I've used heavy duty velcro on fabric skirt surrounds too. Works well. I really like the paint color.

Granny Marigold said...

I really like the fabric you chose for the sink surround. You are working so hard on this project and it's getting done !! I'm looking forward to seeing how the shelves will look.

Lisa Richards said...

Wow! You're making fast progress! It's really homey and cozy! :)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

The fabric is a lovely choice with your yellow paint and brown wood. You could cut your curtain so that you have two side pieces, and a front piece. The front piece you could have hanging from/slipped onto, a slim curtain rod. Easier to get behind the curtain.

You two are doing great and I look forward to seeing your kitchen all finished. I know you'll be glad to have this project completed and enjoy how it works for you.

Have a wonderful weekend ~ FlowerLady

Carol Blackburn said...

Good Mornin' M.K., the sink skirt is very pretty and does compliment the colors of the wall and cabinets. Adam did a bang up job with the counter tops too. Isn't it just the way, when you start fixing one area.............another area looks so bad! I keep saying I am going to repaint the window trim but I am afraid I won't want to stop there and I really don't have the energy or patience to do more than that. Have a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

Morning sweet friend!
I really like what you two are doing...a cottage kitchen! I did the same thing Chris did using Velcro to attach the skirt. It can still be taken off and washed anytime you need. I really like the wood counter tops and the trim looks very good. Adam is turning into a "fine carpenter!" Daddy always said he was a "rough carpenter" not a detail man! Except about music! Do you put on music while you work? I do, and it really makes it more enjoyable.
Have a blessed day, and we are still praying for your grieving and God's comfort for all.
Love you,
Lynn

Kezzie said...

I'm very impressed with all your work! You're doing a lot of hard work to make your house nice. We've been at home this week just trying to get things done, tidying and sorting and my husband has been drilling and putting up coat hooks and things and I've been sorting through stuff too. Not as impressive as you though!

happyone said...

I'd forgotten about this blog of yours and glad you said something about it in your other blog.
Your kitchen sounds like it will be a nice homey country kitchen. : )
I like the material you picked for around the sink.

Henny Penny said...

I really like how it is turning out. I love the rich wood colors and the pale yellow. Can't believe how much you've done already. I don't understand what a bump-out is.

GretchenJoanna said...

I love furniture skirts, especially in the kitchen!!

Una said...

You've chosen your colours cleverly, fresh but warm at the same time. It's looking lovely.

sharery dair said...

They can even be planned explicitly to expand your capacity to hold a great deal of things. Baineng kitchen cabinets