Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Knowing Yourself

A blogging friend shared a podcast from Emily Freeman that is absolutely fascinating, and potentially disturbing, if you dare. If you will listen to the podcast (which is 16 minutes), it's here, called "Come Home to Yourself" podcast 25. (Many thanks to Emily Freeman for sharing this with us.)

In the middle of the podcast, Freeman asks us to do two exercises. Here they are:

Exercise #1:
Make a list of the times in your life when you felt most truly, fully yourself. You probably know what I mean - those memorable moments in life when everything felt right, you felt right, you felt complete and satisfied. You felt calm and joy. You felt like YOU, and you liked the feeling.

I made my list. I quickly came up with ten. Some were general activities; some were specific one-time moments. Some were "stronger" than others. I may think of more, but I doubt it. I won't list them for you, but I'll admit I discovered some vaguely troubling facts when I looked at the list and asked these questions of it:

          a. Where was I?
          b. What was I doing?
          c. Who was I with?
          d. Who was I not with?

Only three of mine were outside in nature. The others were inside a building.
In all of mine, I am either alone or I am with children.
In none of mine am I with an adult family member.
Three are associated with books. 
Four are associated with creative activity.
None are associated with piano playing.
None are associated with church.

Some of that really bothers me. Why would I feel most truly, fully myself when I'm alone or with children? I consider myself a very "adulty" person, not your typical elementary teacher or babysitter or pediatric nurse, if you know what I mean.

I expected to have more of these experiences in nature, that I'd feel like myself around trees or broad vistas of valley. Why do I feel more like myself ... inside? That's disappointing to me, but I must admit that it is true.

I must be more of an introvert than even I thought.
Image result for knowing yourself
Exercise #2
Make a list of the times that words were spoken to you by someone that were "spot on" -- affirming words, but not merely complimentary ones. Good words that, when you heard then, were new to you but rang true. The instant they were said, your mind said, "Yes, that's me." 

I could only come up with three examples in this category, and that bothers me too. I think "Words of Affirmation" are not my Love Language. But still ... I'm sure "true words" have been spoken to me. Why don't I remember them? Don't I value them? Don't I even hear them?

I encourage you to do these exercises. It's good to sit down sometimes and do a little self-evaluation, and I believe the evaluations Freeman encourages are, in the end, healthy and encouraging. It's better to look at myself and admit: You know, I don't really enjoy playing the piano all that much. It wasn't the best choice for me, 30 years ago. Or: Adam is right when he says my best gift is writing. I feel most truly myself when I'm writing well.

That's helpful information to have.

2 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

It's late and I'm tired but tomorrow I plan on listening to that podcst.

Carol Blackburn said...

M.K. this sounds interesting and I will have to come back an revisit it at a later time. I am getting things done while the sun shines as we are due for some more of the white stuff later on today. Thank you!