Thursday, February 8, 2018

Continuing the Kitchen

Well! If you've never redone your kitchen, you just don't know what chaos is, haha!
 But the good news is ... the floor is done. And it feels great and looks exactly as I wanted. It's somewhat dark, but I didn't want a light-stained wood that would show every speck of something.
 Most of the seams will be covered with either furniture or area rugs.
This morning Adam ripped out the sheet rock around the sink plumbing. It was nasty, if you recall.
 And he repaired it all with new, and mudded it in beautifully, I think! I'm quite proud of him. He's not a carpenter or contractor at all ... just a regular handy husband. But he's acquired many skills over the years.
 I painted all the baseboards with Kilz, out in the garage.
Then I stained this piece of oak plywood, which will become two pieces of countertop on either side of the oven.
 Here's one, partway finished:
This is the only kitchen cabinet we're keeping.
It was new when we moved in.
 The other will go on top of this space -- Adam is framing it in and will box it with sheet rock. It will enclose the A/C intake. We don't use the central A/C unit anymore, but it still needs to be left there in case some other owner in the future wants it.
That spot will be for our cookbooks, and a charging station for cell phones, etc. I want a small stool right there in front of it, so I can sit and chat with Adam as he cooks all that 'lishus food!

I must say, we are worn out ... well, Adam is truly worn out from all the labor, and I'm worn out from having everything turned upside down in the house. 

Next up: painting the walls with Kilz, purchasing the furniture we want, and (I think) starting on the wall shelving.

BTW, I finished Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith. It was okay, but I don't think I'll read anymore from the Dalhousie series, set in Scotland. I much preferred the series set in Botswana. I read the first one, The Ladies #1 Detective Agency. Yesterday I found a TV series made of it (!!!! - so excited!!!) on youtube:

10 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

It's looking great!!

Lisa Richards said...

Great progress on the kitchen! I'll have to look into that TV series! :)

melissa said...

The floor looks great! Love the color. Goodness, you guys work fast.

We're living with a brown tarp over the back of our house. Bit by bit Gary is pulling it back and taking off rotten wood at the roofline. It'll take awhile, but all we got is time!

Granny Marigold said...

Your floor looks great. When we moved into this present house, 40 years ago, we had a plywood floor too, only ours wasn't even stained or varnished. ( With 5 young children it was very quickly stained!).

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your kitchen is coming right along. I know and others do too, exactly how it feels to be living in remodeling chaos. It will all be over in time and you will love the results. Adam is doing a great job and so are you.

Thanks for sharing this experience with us. It's neat to watch the progress.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I BET you're both tired. You're accomplishing so much! I think it's going to be perfect for you and worth all the hard work. Way to go!

Henny Penny said...

I like the darker stain for the kitchen floor. In fact, that is the color I want for my kitchen cabinets and the floor. I am so tired of honey oak color. The counter top looks good too. It's going to be so pretty. Can't wait to see it all finished. It is so tiring going through something like that.

melissa said...

Try Alexander McCall Smith's 'La's Orchestra Saves the World'. I'm not into the Dalhoisie books. Such an irritating woman! His stand alone books I prefer, though there aren't many of those.

Carol Blackburn said...

Well, coming along nicely. We really need to redo our bathroom walls and trim. HOping to get to that come spring after Mike retires and we do a bit of travelling first. Have a great day!

Una said...

It just goes to show what you can achieve when you really put your mind to it. Looking good.