Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Creativity for Mental Health

I read recently (somewhere ... who knows where) that doing something creative helps one's mental health. I find that when my mind is less anxious, less stressed, I'm more able to do creative things. I'm feeling a bit better, and I returned to some of my old creative pursuits!

I painted. It's not finished, of course, but I love this quote that Susan Branch often puts on her blog.

I wove. This will be a shawl. Over half-way done.

I made a batch of lavender soap. I'm nearly out! Soap has been selling well at the market this month. I think people feel hot and sweaty and want a nice shower.

Yesterday I made a batch of insect-repellent lotion bars at the request of three customers who all report how well they work! That's encouraging.
I finished sewing two more flax seed-filled comfy pouches.
I also read an article saying that we are happier when we hug -- when we have loving physical contact with other humans (or, maybe a dog or cat would do in a pinch?). I sometimes feel badly for those who aren't often touched by someone else, the elderly or widowed, even just regular single people. People in nursing homes or hospitals too. They may be touched by medical personnel, but that's not quite the same. When you're given a long, loving hug, doesn't it make you feel better, body and soul? I've been trying to give more hugs since I read that article.

If I sold all those products I made in the photos above, it would bring in about $240. That's sales, not profits, of course. I sometimes contemplate whether it is worth all the work, and I do think it is because I also enjoy making these things. I get a bit weary of the soaps and lotions now because they're not as creative to me; they don't require any new ideas. I enjoy making new products.

I almost made a batch of cookies this afternoon, but didn't quite get around to it. That'll be on the agenda for tomorrow. Focus on your Happiness Health, friends! It's important. Go give somebody a nice hug!

7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.
I like your blue tea kettle. Once it cools down a bit it will be nice to brew up some lovely herbal tea again. It was over 90F here again today but cooler days are coming.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You've been busy!

I have missed 'beading' with my tiny beads, fresh water pearls, etc. I miss embroidering as well. Have been crocheting comfort/prayer lapghans.

You've inspired me with your creations to pick out some beads and make something. Thank you.

FlowerLady

Thistle Cove Farm said...

yes to doing something creative and to hugs and, yes, even animals count. My animals hug me back; they know and recognize love. I bet your soap goes well; hand made soap is the only thing I've used on my face for the last quarter century.

Lisa Richards said...

I've been letting my artistic pursuits sit on the back burner lately, but just started making a few inchies, and I'm enjoying it because they're just for fun; not for any particular swap. I'm thinking of making some little pieces of art to send to folks I know in "real life". I love your soaps because they're so useful! I like to make things people can actually use. I'm getting to know some gals at church who do a lot of sewing, especially quilts, to sell for missions. Now I know where to go for sewing lessons! I agree that creativity feeds a need in our souls.

magsmcc said...

I need a pretty page in my notebook. That will very much help with back to school! The hugging thing- I like that statistic about how long the hug needs to be for the endorphins, or whatever, to kick in. I think about that when a boy needs a hug and I am peeling potatoes or washing dishes or scrolling a phone. And I just hug for as long as they want. (Usually.)

Kezzie said...

I think you are right about creativity being good for mental health- I always feel good when I have created! I loved my card-making sessions a few weeks ago and think i need to do some more- the mess is still out on the table!
Your lotion bars sound wonderful! I would buy some if I were in the market!
I think you are right about hugging, the touching is very important and how hard that is for people who are alone!

Leigh said...

I reckon writing has been my creative outlet for the past several years. It's so true what you say about true creativity needing a challenge. I think that's why the fiber arts are so appealing, there's always some new technique or colorway to keep up interest. That's important.