Monday, July 29, 2019

Anniversary Week: A Cookbook Recommendation

When I was married three decades ago, the big cookbook every newly married girl needed in her kitchen arsenal was Southern Sideboards, a product of the Jackson, Mississippi, Junior League.
My mother bought me my own copy, and I've used it often over the years. It's a great cookbook. It doesn't have every recipe you're looking for, but if it's in there, you can have utter confidence it will be an excellent recipe.

I'll give four examples that I've used and starred as "keepers." 
First, the No-Roll Pastry Crust:
I love pies but I hate making pie crusts. Some pies must have a rolled-out pastry crust, but many don't need them, like all "filling pies" -- pumpkin, pecan, chess, etc. This simple recipe is THE answer. I've made it many dozens of times, and it never fails.

Second, those Chocolate Graham Cracker Thingies:
Whoever Florence is, she gave us something oh-so yummy. This is the dessert you pull out when you have less than 30 minutes to make something, and it needs to be "finger food" type, and extremely delicious so that everybody at the party eats it first. You can also add coconut if you like, but it's perfection as it is. The only tricky part? Do NOT under any circumstances use the chocolate chips that have the chocolate liquor in them. That kind is designed not to melt, but to stay intact, and they won't work on this recipe. You'll end up with a nasty mess. Buy real chocolate chips, like Toll-House, and you'll be good to go.

Third, the world's most fabulous apple pie, at least according to Adam. I think it's a pain in the neck to make, but I must admit it's so delectable!
I even wrote "Adam's favorite" next to it, so I wouldn't forget. This pie has an added caramel shell you pour on top, Oh My!

And last, a recipe I tried for the first time this past weekend that was a smashing success:
Good ole banana pudding, so summery, so fresh and light. Again, this recipe takes some work. But wouldn't you expect that, to get a dish that makes everyone melt into their chairs and say, "Yummmm," when they take that first bite? Also, this recipe serves many more than 8 people. I made angel food cake (from a mix, duh). It is so, so, so much better than vanilla wafers. Adam dislikes bananas (bad childhood associations resulting from a potassium deficiency), but even he declared this dessert to be superb and had at least 2nds and I think 3rds. 

There you have it! This cookbook is available online, used, for a pittance. I've given away many, many cookbooks to the thrift store, but this one I always keep close at hand. Do you have a favorite cookbook? Why do you love it, and what's its name?

8 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Happy 30th anniversary!!! My cookbooks have dates, and what we thought about recipes written in them. ;-) A favorite, too many to mention.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Carol Blackburn said...

How wonderful.....30 years. I wish you and Adam many, many more.

Lisa Richards said...

I got the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook for a wedding present from my mom. I have to confess, I almost never use cookbooks, though I like the idea of it! The only thing I used out of that cookbook was a pie crust recipe. Despite my lack of use (I did use some of the recipes MANY years ago.) it did eventually fall apart. I replaced it with a new updated paperback version I found at the library book sale "just in case" I should ever need to actually cook something, lol. I actually have several cookbooks, but they're just for show. :) I'm not trying to be all liberated by saying I don't like to cook. I think it has more to do with a lack of money over the years with which to buy interesting ingredients. I was always a subsistence cooker and we had the same things over and over. I think that killed the creative urge. Now there's only me, so it doesn't make sense to spend much time on the activity.

Deborah Montgomery said...

I have some of those old church and junior league-type cookbooks. They have the best recipes in them. Everyone has submitted their best, tried and true recipes so you know they're all going to be good. Plus, there's a real sense of history in these books that I love.

M.K. said...

That's a great idea! An annotated cookbook! Thanks, FL.

M.K. said...

Thank you, Carol :)

M.K. said...

Lisa, I understand. I'm one of those "subsistence cooks" too. Adam is the one who loves to cook and finds interesting recipes. I kept many cookbooks for years, just for show.
It's true that when you live alone, it's easy to lose the motivation to cook. This has happened to my mother since my daddy died, and it's surprised us all. But she just doesn't want to cook, and who can argue with her?

M.K. said...

True, Deborah! And I agree that those recipes are WELL tested, which makes them superior to many online recipes.