Thursday, July 18, 2019

Eating Japanese

This post is honestly for my daughter who spent two years in Japan and knows so much about the food of that lovely country. Tonight my son took a bunch of us out to dinner at a very nice restaurant, Two Ten Jack, in celebration of the upcoming birthday of another of my children. We had so much fun.

First, I'll show you most (but not all!) of the little dishes that arrived at our table.
pork

chicken/green onion skewer

pork dumpling

some sort of fabulous beef?

sushi - I didn't eat this one

These were like hush puppies with little cubes of
 octopus inside with a honey glaze on the outside.

There were tater tots in this dish - oh my goodness, SO good.

salmon with some sauce and a slaw on the side

ramen bowl with pork

ramen bowl for a vegetarian

birthday dessert!

This meal was superb for two reasons: the food was brought to the table and shared among the five of us, and the food itself was phenomenal. Sharing food makes the meal very fun -- exclaiming about a bite, showing it to your neighbor, comparing to something else, having so many various dishes and not too much of any one. It was delightful, and the knowledgeable waitress was a huge help, while making our experience delightful. 

12 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

What has this world come to when Japanese dishes incorporate Tater Tots? *smiling*

Lisa Richards said...

It all looks so familiar! I think I've been watching too many YouTube videos about Japan! (No. Not too many. They're lots of fun!) Glad you had a great meal together!

R's Rue said...

Yummy.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Retired Knitter said...

It all looked wonderful. Japanese cooking is actually my favorite.

GretchenJoanna said...

That is the strangest sushi I've ever seen! But I think I recognize mochi ice cream, which I've only bought in stores, not eaten in restaurants.

M.K. said...

Haha - I thought the SAME thing? But these must've been homemade with special potatoes. This was a rather high falutin', fancy place.

M.K. said...

Youtubes from Japan are so interesting. We have a few folks over there that we watch. I did not expect to like that food so much!

M.K. said...

Well, I certainly did enjoy that food, and I wasn't expecting to so much. There was more meat that I expected. :)

M.K. said...

Yes - those last little wedges were ice cream slices, covered in something (made with rice?) Two were fruit flavored (mango and cherry) and one was espresso, which was SO yummy.

Pom Pom said...

Oh, how fun! The food looks delicious!

Henny Penny said...

My goodness, at the food! Don't think I've ever had any of those things, except maybe Tater Tots. :)

Kezzie said...

I'm droooooooooooooooooling!!!! I LOVE Japanese food!