Thursday, April 23, 2020

Post-Isolation Fantasy Choices

This post responds to Kezzie's similar post, over in England. Thanks, Kezzie! If you want to do a post like this, go tell Kezzie.

1. Restaurant you would go out to: I've been pondering this for weeks, and I know I would go to Mucho Bueno, our favorite Mexican restaurant across the Neuse River in Havelock. They serve Mexican "street food" too. They have a creamy chicken dish that causes me to close my eyes above its wafting aromas and say, "Yummm," every time it comes to the table.

2. Friend you would meet up with first: Well, this implies a local friend. I have other friends who live far away who I would dearly love to have a day-or-three with. But near me, I have a painting/lunching friend whose company I miss very much. We've seen each other a little, from afar, but it's not the same. And my Bible Study ladies, especially our hostess, who I haven't seen in many weeks now. And my farmer's market friends too.

3. Place you would go: I think to the beach. I don't visit the beach (only 1 hour 20 minutes away) often. I can go for a year or more without visiting there, although I think I want to, and I hope to do it. But I put it off, waiting for a "better time" or "better day." I want to relax on the sand, close my eyes, hear the heavy surf and the lapping waves, and rest. I also miss going to church, for just a regular Sunday, seeing our church family and worshiping and eating together. I've missed that very much.

4. Shop you would go to: Our local thrift store! I also miss the 2 craft stores, Michael's and Hobby Lobby, in the big town near me.

5. Food item you would buy/eat: I can't think of anything, really. I have been grocery shopping each week, so we aren't low on any food supplies. We've been able to buy everything we need. Adam, however, has been sick (not with Covid though), so I've been cooking, so what I really want is his cooking back! I think I'd like his fried shrimp.

6. Cake you would eat: Cake? This must be a British thing, Kezzie. I made a chocolate cake last night for Adam's birthday (today!!!), but generally we don't eat cake often at all. Does "cake" really mean "bakery item"? Our bakery down the street, Sweet Annie's, has remained open (for take-out) so I have not been deprived! I enjoyed a chocolate-iced Boston Cream-filled doughnut just yesterday!

7. Show you would go to see/Concert you will go watch: We don't go see live shows or concerts often at all. They are generally quite pricey. I would love to see the concert on the grounds of Tryon Palace again like we did one summer. It was lovely with picnics and fabulous symphony music and fire flies. Except for Adam's leg being in a big brace and my having to tote all the picnic stuff from blocks away, it was a perfect evening.

8. Relative you will hug first: I want to hug all my children and grandbaby Isaac, but they live far away. I would also like to hug Adam. He's got a fierce case of Mononucleosis and is contagious, so although I do hug him, I don't kiss him. It would be nice to have a kiss again.

9. Holiday you would go on: I want to return to Williamsburg. I miss it. I miss wandering in the garden of the governor's palace, drifting in and out of the shops and smelling the scented soaps, hearing the horses clop-clop by, and sitting in the quiet, old church. I want to go in the fall or spring. It's too crowded in the summer and too cold in winter.

10. Other activity? I'm not a spa kind of girl, but I'm thinking about getting a facial, pedicure, and decent haircut when this is all over. My hair is appalling. I just bought a slightly-better shampoo, hoping to soften it up. It's been dry with split ends. I think the salons of all types will be crazy-busy when The Horrid Covid goes away!

11. Thing you would do at work: Well, I'm still painting, but I am looking forward to going back to the farmer's market and selling my lotions/soaps/etc. It's funny how the activities you thought you were rather tired of before, are now things you miss. Oh, how I wanted to give up some of my commitments and just stay home. Ha! The Horrid Covid changes one's mind on such things.

12. Item you would buy: Hmm. I'm not a shopper. I do need a new pair of farm boots. Mine have a huge split in the heel. There are a few books I'd like to order. But I could buy those right now online. I put off buying things for as long as possible, but I can't blame that on The Horrid Covid. (That's Kezzie's phrase, and I like it a lot!)

That's it! Because we live in a rural area, we are not "closed in" at home as much as some folks are. I mostly miss eating at favorite restaurants. How about you? Do tell us what you will do when The Horrid Covid goes away!

2 comments:

Kezzie said...

I really thought I'd commented on this!!! Sorry!
It was lovely to hear your choices. Mmmm, Mexican food is lovely, good choice!!
It's funny what you wrote about not being a spa girl. Me neither, but I'd really been wanting a facial and pedicure for a while before isolation- the skin of my toes is reall hard at the moment and I wanted it all removed. Plus, my hair really is long now- and it takes SUCH a long time to wash (and more shampoo) and it is long enough for the wig now!
Funny what things we miss- you and selling your soaps- I miss face to face teaching- it's really hard and takes so long planning my online blog lessons, having no idea if the kids are really even doing the work- the stats suggest not- plus I've had to shut down comments because I've been trolled by someone (I suspect the sibling of a girl who WAS commenting), so I can't even hear from the kids now.
I have to say though- it's been nice not having to teach year 1- they are SO tiresome this year so I can't say I've missed those lessons though!

Retired Knitter said...

All I want to do is hug my kids and my grand daughter. :-)