Friday, May 1, 2020

At Last ... I Finish Something

I finished a book! Hooray! 
I have a stack of about 10 unfinished books.
 I've watched three film versions of Rebecca, but none of them compare to the book. Du Maurier's use of the unreliable narrator is superb. What a tool to use in a suspense novel! 

I also finished a sewing project ... kind of. It needs buttons and button holes for sure. This is the Vest Mock-Up:
It could take me years to put those buttons/holes on.
 Both fabrics were junky pieces in my stash from the thrift store. I used them for their weight -- heavy, sturdy fabric for the front, thin, silky fabric for the lining. The welt pockets were most difficult.

 I learned much in this first trial run. I'll make some changes to the pattern in my next attempt.

Today I painted something to replace a sunflowers painting I did last year that I tired of. It was hanging in the guest room. It's 22" x 15".
I sketched in the white picket fence. Then I started with the roses.
 I added some shading on the fence and the green background around the roses.
 More shading, more leaves, and some blue sky.
 You probably can't see any difference between the above photo and the one below, but I felt it needed something ... more depth. So I added thin pen in many of the roses and darkened their centers. Just little changes.
When is a painting finished? When you put it in a frame and it's too much trouble to take back out.
 See the pen?

Recently I returned to a simple, lovely piece of music, "Clair de Lune," part of a suite by Debussy that I memorized and performed in college. "Clair de Lune" was the easy, throw-away piece. Not anymore! I've lost much skill, but I still want to play. It's peaceful.
This piano piece needs SO much work.
 Tonight Adam made just fried broccoli and cheese sauce for supper. It's been a long day, and we're both spent. It was perfection! He mastered this dish after working at a restaurant in his 20s where it was served. The batter is light and perfectly crispy.
That's about it, folks. I haven't been to the garden in two days. The strawberries are probably screaming to be picked. Instead, today I went to a coffee shop with a friend. We sat at a picnic table in a park and enjoyed our coffee and pastries, and talked about how much we miss simply meeting with friends and doing things together away from home. We're ready for life to come back to normal. Sadly ... the Covid-19 virus is not ready yet! It's more efficient at contagion than we are at containing it. We can wish all we want, but it has the upperhand, medically speaking. Still, I think we'll be going out and shopping and visiting again soon. Our goal in isolating was to preserve our healthcare system, and we have accomplished that, correct? So now it is time to roll our sleevies up, face the hard fact of the virus, protect our at-risk people, and get back to living as safely as we can. I'm so proud of the medical folks who are working tirelessly for better treatments and a vaccine! Let's keep our chins up!

6 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I'm more than ready to get back to living safely but seeing family and friends again. Normal shopping would be nice too.
You did a great job of that first vest. I don't know much about sewing but those welt pockets look difficult. Will you bother putting buttons and buttonholes on the mock-up?
The roses hanging over the picket fence looks good and will be lovely in your guest room. Maybe take a picture once it's framed and hung?
You don't mention whether Adam is feeling any better yet. Hopefully the fact that he felt up to making supper means he's on the mend.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, I think you did a great job with your first vest. I love your new watercolor also. So pretty and peaceful. The broccoli looks delicious and is making me hungrier than I already am. It's time for some breakfast.

Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I love the painting! And the vest — you might actually inspire me to visit my sewing machine for something other than sewing Girl Scout badges!

Retired Knitter said...

Well, I am ready to get back to seeing my family again - and maybe seeing a friend or two - but until they have a vaccine, I am not ready to risk being ill with the Flu or Covid. This event plus my illness with the flu last year has definitely change how I view the world and how I get around in it. At 73 my chances of "bouncing back" like I once did are much lower. So I will be cautious and I will use good sanitation and I will be more appreciative of my general good health now. I took that all for granted. No more.

Pom Pom said...

Your painting is lovely!
The fried broccoli sounds and looks yummy!

GretchenJoanna said...

Maybe I will read Rebecca... It's been on my mental list most of my life, and I've never even got a copy in the house. "The unreliable narrator" does sound interesting!

I have been going out more, with my required mask on. This week I may have two outings "with" friends. That is, we drive separately to a botanical garden/nursery or a park, and walk far apart on a wide path etc. while we are there. It's a hard not to be able to relax while taking a walk, but people are getting braver, and less willing to stay cooped up.