Thursday, May 21, 2020

Watercolor Take-Over

I find myself indifferent to soap-making now, lotion-making, knitting and crochet. Weaving too, and spinning ... even though they were both so cool. Not that I won't do any of that again. But they all have been driven out of my daily life by ... watercolor painting. And because I'm now on the dark end of my 50s, I'm gonna allow myself to do what I enjoy. That's a luxury, I know. I am blessed to be able to make that choice.

I painted a commission for a lady in South Dakota who I met on facebook. 

She asked for poppies. It was fun to communicate with her and paint her exactly what she wanted. Then today I went to New Bern and promptly spent half of that commission! A few new art supplies:
a micron .005 pen, olive green Grumbacher paint, four watercolor pencils that I can't wait to try out, and a dagger brush. Dagger brushes are hard to find. I want a much larger one. I'll have to get that online.

And I finally got two of my watercolors made into note cards. At last!
This is my mother's favorite card. I'll send her a pack for her belated birthday.

 I love these roses:
 The colors are quite vibrant, even darker than the original. The printer did a good job.
 I'll sell them in packs of however many are wanted, usually 5 or 10 in a pack. The cards are $2 each (with envelope, of course). Then I can mix-and-match the packs. I can't wait to have a lot of cards to pick from!
 On the back:

I will do more, but it's kind of expensive to have them made. However, friends have been asking.

I painted this little piece yesterday, and I do believe it is my very favorite watercolor I've done yet. I don't know why. I just love the looseness of the style, the orange/green scheme, and the pen work (why I got a new micron pen). 
This photo of it is too dark. 
Then I did one in a blue jar:
But I like the first one better.
Do you see what I mean about how watercolor has taken over? I'm not interested in doing much else, with my creative time. 
Let's end with doggo photos :)
 Trixie ... we call her Trickers ... is so dainty.
And Beau is so nervous!

8 comments:

Sandi said...

So gorgeous, MK!

Granny Marigold said...

Trixie looks for all the world like you posed her with her paws crossed.

Your Mother's favourite card would be mine too, although the Poppies are a close second. It must be so rewarding to see how well your paintings are turning out.
Keep having fun!!
( I hope Adam is doing better).

Henny Penny said...

The poppies are beautiful; my favorite, but all your watercolors are beautiful. Glad you're doing what you love most. Funny how we change over the years. I wanted to keep sheep, spin, weave...do it all but finally settled in to making aprons and bonnets. But, you are actually talented and can do all those things. Mine were mostly dreams. Wondering if you all have had as much rain and wind this week as we have. I'm hoping for a little sun tomorrow. Too much rain gets depressing.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, you are on a roll with your watercolor painting. They are lovely.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

annie said...

I love your cards, the roses especially. Those sweet doggies are so cute. It is wonderful to be able to do what makes you happy! I hope your husband is feeling better and that you both are safe and well.

Pom Pom said...

Your watercolors are lovely, lovely, lovely! I'm glad you're having cards printed!
Aw! The pups!

Retired Knitter said...

Oh my!! Your pets are so cute!!

Lisa Richards said...

Sometimes when we have SO many interests we have to choose one to concentrate on. I know I have problems with that! :) Good to see how your watercolor work is taking off! Do you have a local printer make your cards? I've thought of doing that but never follow through. Have fun! :)