Sunday, May 10, 2020

Every Bloomin' Day!

 Are we still plugging along, my friends? Yes, we are. I've been painting a bit because folks have been ordering my cards, and I've been shipping them away. Here are a few favorites from last week.
 The lavender (above) is a fuzzy photo. I really like this type of painting (below):
 Geraniums:
 At last, I am biting the bullet and getting some of my watercolors made into packages of assorted cards. I'm in the process of working on that with the printers in New Bern.

I don't post about my chickens much anymore, but they are still a part of my daily life, and I enjoy them. Below are Clementine the Mean, Sheena the Assertive, and Sylvie the Loud Mouth.

 I think those two hens between them could run the world.

I did finish Adam's vest at last. Many adjustments need to be made in the next version, but he's enjoying this one. I bought lots of these buttons at the thrift store months ago. I knew they'd come in handy.
 I bought this stunning hanging basket at the nursery recently, among other plants that were a splurge and I probably should NOT have bought them ... but I couldn't resist. Isn't she beautiful? I sit on the back deck (which is now cleared of potting paraphernalia) and gaze at her.
 Adam and I were doing stuff at the church and checking in on a couple of folks this past week. We chatted at them outside in their yards, wearing our masks. We stopped at the local grocery store, the Piggly Wiggly. (Except this is a little store, not nearly so big as the Big Pig. So everybody calls it the Piglet.) We got two lunches to go, parked in front of the wide river, and had a little car date.
 Other people were there doing the same. We saw friends. A dog begged from car to car. People adjust and find new ways to enjoy life, even in a pandemic.

Adam is not well yet. His Mono still makes him tired. His eyes are much better but not quite well yet. But now he has thrush in his mouth -- yeast infection. It is painful and uncomfortable. It hurts to talk, to swallow, even to chew. I made nice, soft pancakes this past week for him. These are our strawberries from the garden.
 My dear mother-in-law sent me a wonderful "happy"! Now I can paint directly on watercolor cards, instead of gluing the watercolor paper onto separate cards. This is nice paper!
 My herb bed looks like a magical sea of airy cilantro blooms. I want to bury my face in it and breathe in.

 That wasn't much to tell! Maybe because we are kind of meandering through life right now as many people are. When all our tomorrows look quite unpredictable  and uncertain, it's sometimes easiest to turn to the points of beauty around us for calm and comfort. Blooms do that for me. I hope you are finding peace in your disrupted days. 

"Let not your hearts be troubled."
"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace
whose mind is stayed on Thee."
"Lo, I will be with you."
"I will not leave your nor forsake you."
In the end, regardless of how we may all disagree about it, we will all pass through these Coronavirus days together, and emerge on the other side together.  And history will decide the details. We will remember how we felt, how we treated each other. Especially this year, I want to remember to stop and smell the flowers.

6 comments:

Sandi said...

GORGEOUS photos! Thank you for sharing them with us.

Piggly Wiggly? Oh! You are from the South too. 😊

Granny Marigold said...

Poor Adam. He's just having one darn thing after another. The thrush must be pretty awful. You'll have to make lots of smoothies for him.

Your hanging basket is HUGE but I'm not sure what the pretty flowers are.
I need to sow my cilantro seeds, not that we're fond of the taste but my bunny definitely is a fan. It's so pretty when it's in bloom.

I hope you had a pleasant Mothers Day. I hope the upcoming week is a good one.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a delightful post, except for Adam's having to deal with his health issues. Praying that he will be completely well soon.

Your watercolors are GREAT! What a nice gift of the watercolor cards for you to paint.

I made 2 loaves of strawberry bread the other day. Yummy!

Have a great week dear MK ~ FlowerLady

Lisa Richards said...

Lots of good watercolor fun! Love those vibrant violets! Those chickens do look assertive. I'd sure do whatever they ordered me to! The herbs look great and so does the food. I'm still on a "diet" for acid reflux, so tasty food speaks to me. Yup, finding little ways to get out and about and socialize. We're blessed to live in the country and have so much beauty around us. Well, it's still a little brown here, but it WILL be pretty. God bless y'all!

GretchenJoanna said...

I don't remember if you are writing a journal? Because I think about this period in history, how we all are living it, we ARE history happening, and it would be good if many of us are writing down our thoughts and experience, for the sake of our great-great-grandchildren who may only have a few dry lines in a textbook to read.

Your painting just gets more and more beautiful!

Pom Pom said...

You are an excellent painter, MK! I love the geraniums!
I'm sorry Adam is still so tired. He may be tired for a long time.
Your herbs are lovely and vibrant! Your hens are hilarious!
Take care, Sweetums!