Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Today, it's raining.

 The high today will be 76 degrees. It feels like fall. I know it's early August, but everything within me longs for autumn. I know we have two months of heat remaining, but it's so easy to imagine that today is October, that today I will put on a sweater, that today I will walk among the fallen leaves.

So in honor of October-that-is-not-here, I'll share this poem ... again.

October
by Robert Frost

O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
Tomorrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild
Begin the hours of this day slow.
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
Beguile us in the way you know.
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon release another leaf;
One from our trees, one far away;
Retard the sun with gentle mist;
Enchant the land with amethyst.
Slow, slow!
For the grapes' sake, if they were all.
Whose leaves already are burnt with frost.
Whose clustered fruit must else be lost --
For the grapes' sake along the wall.

There are many elegant poems whose every word seems wondrously and perfectly placed, but to me, I think this is the most perfect poem for subject, rhythm, technique, and effect.

The rain is not insignificant. My chicken pen is a mass of soggy mud, and the hens don't know where to go, to get their little feet out of the wet. Their feathers droop with sogginess. Brownie is being broody and is in the final days of sitting on a clutch of a dozen eggs. She is the only dry hen, hunkered in her broody box with her feathers fluffed over the eggs.

Beau and I are on the couch watching the Olympic runners give it their all in Tokyo. It's a day to stay inside, so I think I'll go back to painting, which I've taken a break from for a couple of weeks. Instead, I've been weaving and making youtube videos, which is creative in its own right.

It's been exactly a year since Adam was diagnosed with his illness and we began this long road of treatment. This morning he is at the internist's getting lots of blood drawn for various tests. One of them will determine whether he is heading into remission and can come off of his immunosuppressant medication. (Most organ transplant patients take between 1500-200 mg of this med each day; Adam takes 4500 mg daily.) We are very eager for him to be off this drug, and give his immune system a chance to work again. He has been full of so much anxiety lately regarding all this. We hope for good news.

But today -- I'm loving the sound of rain outside, and a snug, dry house inside. Time for a good, hot cup of tea and some time in my studio. I may paint. But I may stare out the window.

7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Poor hens all wet and droopy. Rain, however, sounds pretty appealing to me right about now. It's still hot and so very dry. Tomorrow we are supposed to get a day of cool and cloudy weather so That will be nice.
I love that Robert Frost poem.
I hope Adam's bloodwork comes back with the result that you are hoping for.

annie said...

Hello MK, we have had a couple of cooler rainy day weather and today will be as well. I watch all your viideos and truly enjoy them. I love your weaving.
We are awaiting different test results also. It is never easy. I hope Adams will have good outcomes.Bless you both.

Pom Pom said...

Prayers for Adam. I pray he'll receive sweet peace from the Prince.
I am eager for fall, too. I like our cool mornings, but the heat is here to stay for a while! xo

Henny Penny said...

Oh MK, can you believe these few cooler days we've had here in NC! It was 63 degrees yesterday morning and this morning. I knew it couldn't last but I loved every minute of it. Once hot humid July gets here I start dreaming of fall too. That is such a beautiful poem. I'll have to remember and come back to read again. I hope for the very best for Adam. Goodness, that's a long time to deal with all that. Enjoyed your posts agoun Jolly the Postman. I'm sure he had lots of fun there with you. :)

Una said...

Just checking in to read my favourite blogs today. Your are always full of news. I was interested to see the photo of clover in your garden. It's becoming fashionable here for people to mow their lawns less often so the bees can enjoy the clover. Less mowing makes me very happy.

gretchenjoanna said...

I hope you are somewhat refreshed by the rain. May the LORD keep you in His peace. <3

Kim said...

You say what I felt last week. I think we both experienced the same weather! What a beautiful poem. I must save that one! Praying your hubby can be well enough to get off the high dose of his meds. I imagine the side effects are no fun at all for him. Your Youtube videos are a joy to watch, btw. Happy Sunday!