Friday, August 27, 2021

When It Feels Like Fall

It feels like fall
in spite of the date
which tells me it's
August 28th.

It feels like fall
in spite of the sweat,
and the sauna heat
says it's not fall yet.

The corn says it's fall
as it rustles and whispers,
as its poor little stalks
grow crisper and crisper.

The leaves say it's fall
as their greens become brown.
They look tired of summer
and long to fall down.

In the early of morning
when the wild geese call
when the new mist rises
It feels like fall.


by M.K. Christiansen


5 comments:

Latane Barton said...

What a beautiful thought! Fall, the respite from all the heat and weariness. Thank you for that poem.

Granny Marigold said...

I like your poem and the painting!!
I heard (and saw) several flocks of wild geese today but they were heading NORTH. Probably flew out to graze in the fields and came back to the lake for night.

Lisa Richards said...

Yes, I think fall is coming. But I can just imagine the humidity and heat in your neck of the woods!

Henny Penny said...

Your poem is great! I love it...and the painting. I am so ready for fall and cooler days. I'm anxious to work outside more.

GretchenJoanna said...

Ha! Here we are finally getting good heat after most of August was cool. My figs are ripening, though, and THAT feels like fall!