Thursday, January 3, 2008

Winterim

First day of classes was wonderful. I sat in my living room with my four nice students, lit them a fire in the fireplace, read to them (Truman Capote, "A Christmas Memory") gave them a simple writing exercise, let them read a few of our books, had them revise their work a little, and took them back to school. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Tomorrow, we'll drive to Barnes and Noble. Each of them will buy a book of poetry. Then we'll have a snack at Starbucks. That sounds fairly pleasant as well.

This evening, Adam has made me another lovely fire. We're going to use up our pile of firewood by March, I betcha. We also watched another Nero Wolfe episode, which is loads of fun.

Julia is reading "Alice in Wonderland." She finished "A Wrinkle in Time" and has started "Many Waters," also by L'Engle.

No comments: