Saturday, November 21, 2009

Christmas Books

Last year I started a great Christmas tradition: I bought myself books. Remember?

I've decided to do it again this year! Today I spent a little time on Amazon, so I could find good prices, and get their free shipping. Here are my choices:

A Thousand Days in Venice, by Marlena de Blasi

Housekeeping, A Novel, by Marilynne Robinson

Dakota, a Spiritual Geography, by Kathleen Norris

I'm careful to buy books that I believe I'll love long-term, enjoy seeing on my shelves, recommend and lend to friends, and read again myself. I know I love de Blasi's books; I bought one last year, I've read her A Thousand Days in Tuscany, and she's a drifting romantic. I also got a Robinson book last year, Gilead. I truly enjoyed that book. (warning: Adam did not.) Whereas de Blasi tells a warm, casual tale and is strong on emotion, Robinson's writing is pure, fine craftsmanship. The Norris book was recommended to me recently by a friend; when I read about it, it sounded intriguing. When I read a few sample pages on Amazon, I felt I'd enjoy her style.

I found last year that giving myself books I'd carefully chosen was a great idea. It was a Christmas gift that I enjoyed for the next 6-9 months, as I slowly wended my way through those writer's worlds. I expect the same this year.

If you have a great favorite, please leave a comment. I'd like to know!!

No comments: