Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Back to Blogging

Today Adam's mom flew back to Nebraska and Kara drove home as well. Now we are alone again. Well ... is one ever alone with four dogs?
I picked our first 3 cucumbers today, and in spite of the photo, the dogs were actually wanting me, and not the cucumber.
Look what I found at the thrift store on Monday:
 I've blogged about this diner pattern before. What a sweet little dish!
I also found yet another cotton skirt with built-in slip.
 It's dark green, despite these photos. The hem is lacy.
 We've had so much rain. Today was no exception. It came pounding down. The ditch filled and flooded over into our yard a bit.
 The worst thing about heavy rain is that we still have our old, leaky roof, and the ceiling drips, sometimes in just one spot (over the sofa), but on days like today, in quite a few. Today it dripped on the piano :(  Sigh.
 And new spots erupted over the living room fan.
 I can't tell you how discouraging this is for Adam and for me. We simply don't have money for any kind of roof -- not even close. There's just nothing to be done but empty buckets in the attic and hope that new holes don't start. And pray. I pray regularly for a new roof.

I couldn't resist taking pictures of Anna's bridesmaids' bouquets before they droop. 
 Today I finished Elizabeth Goudge's "The White Witch" at last. It's a good book, well crafted, written in a rich, leisurely style. A historical novel set during the English Civil War, it focuses on a half-gypsy woman and the circle of friends and family around her. Do not be put off by the term "witch" in the title. She is a wise woman who uses herbs to heal people. Goudge weaves Christian faith quietly and beautifully into her main characters.
 I thought I'd drop a few quotes from the novel for you to ponder:
~ In reference to implements of torture or execution, a pastor says, "They do not lessen the evil in the world; they increase it, by making those who handle these cruelties as wicked as those who suffer them. No, I'm wrong, more wicked, for there is always some expiation made in the endurance of suffering and none at all in the infliction of it."
~ The same pastor, in response to someone's sympathy when his church service was a failure: "Failure? How can I fail when I am nothing?" 
~ A dying gypsy woman utters these words: "But those who break the law should be loved more and not less for their sin, for if we do not forgive, then is sin added to sin and the end is death." 
~A man, filled with remorse for his sense of responsibility for another's death, asks, "Is there a sort of divine economy that turns even our sins to some use?"

Next, I'll read this book, which I've had for 3 years after I swiped it from my mother's shelves.
Since I watch so much of "Escape to the Country," I now know where most of the British counties are (hooray!), and I know where Wiltshire is. 

Adam and I are recovering physically and emotionally from all the delights, anxieties, and exhaustions of the wedding week. I plan to return to some semblance of creative order in my studio. I'll let you know if I have any success!

5 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I hope you recover gently back into normal life again. Although having a leaky roof makes for stress and worry. When our first two children were still both in cribs we lived in a house with a leaky roof ( as well as rodents that cavorted around in the attic). We used to move the cribs around to avoid the leaks.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Take your time getting back to normal after your whirlwind time of wedding activities and lots of family. Savor the memories made and your together alone time once again.

I didn't realize that you had '4' dogs. I like your garden 'attire'.

Love your new skirt. It looks brown to me, but being green is a lovely color also.

I'm sorry for your roof woes. I pray that God will work this situation out for you somehow. We've had 5 weeks of rain down here and I hear more thunder as I type. No laundry or outside work to be done today. The inside needs taking care of so I will count my blessings, some don't have a house to care for.

Love, hugs & prayers for you both ~ FlowerLady

Lisa Richards said...

I'm also part of the sisterhood of the leaky roof! When we built our log house (see my Backwoods Crazy Quilt blog) we lived in the basement for years (with no house on top) with only a black plastic tarp on top of plywood. It had pinholes from the woodstove embers and it leaked like a sieve. After a rain I would get up on top and sweep with a shop broom, hoping to get as much water off as possible before it could leak through. The tarp wasn't taut, so water gathered in all the wrinkles. Those years were hard on me! I loved it when winter came and froze everything. Now I'm not fond of the sound of dripping water, lol.
I've wanted to read The White Witch for some time. It sounds really interesting. The other book looks good, too. I'm back to watching Escape to the Country. Finally, I found some episodes I hadn't seen yet!
Nice thrift store finds!

melissa said...

I have lots to say, but no time now. Did want to tell you, though, that you look darling in that photo!

Carol Blackburn said...

Oh M.K. I do hope your leaky roof problems can be fixed soon. It is a stress you do not need.