Sunday, June 24, 2018

Ditch Lilies ... and Disaster on the Loom

We call them ditch lilies here because they do grow in the ditches profusely this time of year. But for all that, I think they're gorgeous. Here's the photo I took:
 I started the painting. This part is always quick, easy, and fun.
 I added layers of darkening colors and a little of the white sparkly paint. It looks good -- rather like lilies-on-fire. 

Watercolors struggle to obtain those dark tones, at least they do with me at this stage in my painting experience. But the contrasts were needed. I think it's done now.
I picked some for church this morning, adding purple cone flowers and a few sprays of hydrangea foliage.

I'm still reading Gallipot Eyes by Elspeth Huxley. She lived in a small English village (Oaksey) for her adult life in an old Cotswold house called "Woodfolds." How comforting to live in a home with history to give it a name! If you'd like to see inside and outside "Woodfolds," here's a link to view it. Houses like that make me all melty and happy inside.

How 'bout a puppy dog picture? These two beautiful standard poodles come to the farmers' market most weeks. They're sitting pretty here, waiting for a treat of biscotti.
 I rarely take eggs to the market to sell, but I had extras. I also took cukes and a bag of collards, both of which sold, but the tomatoes did not.
 What did I find at the thrift store this week, you ask? For $3, I found a very large LLBean tote bag, brand new (!!), with a floral trim. But it once belongs to someone named Billie.
 Sorry, Billie, but you have to go. I put my seam ripper to good use. After about an hour, Billie pretty much disappeared.

A discouraging failure on my loom occurred on Friday. Remember the blue/pink scarf I was starting? Well, I won't type it all. Instead, you may view the catastrophe on a video:
Hopefully I'll get back to you when that mess is sorted out!

5 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Sorry about the weaving disaster, but I guess you live and learn, eh? :) I used to be a dog groomer when I was very young and standard poodles were a favorite to groom! Nice job on the lilies! Gallipot Eyes sounds like something to put on my to-read list. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Granny Marigold said...

I have a couple of old clumps of the Daylily you call Ditch Lilies! They're bold and hardy and bloom faithfully in ask for little care. I like your painting of them.
Sorry about your weaving problem but glad all is not lost.

Love the old Cotswold house and the grounds it sits in but the rooms inside were not especially to my liking. If I buy it I'll have the rooms painted in muted colours.

The tote bag was a great find. I wonder why Billie didn't want it. Oh well, her loss is your gain.
Have a great week.

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi M.K., your ditch lillies look a bit like my day lillies. Maybe the same thing. Not sure. Anyway, so sorry about your weaving disaster. I know you are taking it all in stride. How's things after the wedding? Still recovering from all the excitement? Have a wonderful new week.

happyone said...

There are lots of the 'ditch' lilies around here too. I'm sure they will show up one of these days on my blog. : )
Nice nice job painting it.

Connie said...

You are such a creative lady. I love the story, painting and the lovely bouquet of your Ditch Lilies. It made me think about my grandmother, she had iris growing across the road from her in the ditch :)
Happy Summer!
Connie :)