Thursday, June 21, 2018

Wishing Ahead

I know it's the first day of summer, but it's nice to know that some tree out there, somewhere near our house, agrees with me ....
It's so hot, and I hate the heat. And I have months to go before I feel a cool breeze and need a sweater. (Except in all the buildings, especially church, with their A/C blowing like a North Pole blast!)
Also looking ahead, I'm weaving a scarf. Somebody will need it in November.
 These are the colors, blue with a splash of pink. I'm not feeling particularly creative. I'm feeling more melty, if you know what I mean -- brain melt, due to the excessive heat.

But my heat is nothing compared to these poor fellows clearing the power lines of limbs!
 You can tell I was inside in the cool air, watching them buzz away with their chain saws. Adam watched in awe as they saved him weeks of work, clearing that property line. They were in front of our property for two days.
 Adam was friendly to them. Kindness is a wonderful thing. They did a beautiful job, chipped the branches right here afterward, and left us a massive pile of mulch.
 My elephant ears are getting big! Adam will be making concrete leaves with them again ... in the fall.
 The zinnias did not bloom in time for the wedding, but they're pretty anyway.
 Anna didn't want orange in her arrangement, so these sweet lilies bloomed afterward too.
 These deep orange double blooms are just about my favorite.
 In fact, I think I need to paint that. 

I thought I had only Matt's Wild Cherry tomato plants, but no! I also have some mini-orange (speaking of orange). The ones near the house are beautiful, but the ones from the garden seem sickly and rotten.
 

Last night Adam made one of my favorites, chicken and biscuits. He makes a Cream Biscuit, which uses heavy cream instead of shortening. They are light and delectable.
 Speaking of chicken, I'm not sure if you've ever officially met my other rooster, Arthur.
 He's quite handsome, so I painted him today from some photos I had. He's also ornery and mean, and has more than once been hit with a big stick across the chicken run. Once, Adam grabbed him and carried him upside down by his legs in the pasture for a while, allowing the dogs to sniff him well.
He hasn't messed with Adam since then.
Did I mention Adam made a little gate so that Arthur and his 3 hens (Autumn, Sylvie, and Lady Grey), and the 3 chicks, can spend their days in the orchard? There they are in the photo, cooling off under a small tree. I like to see them eating grass among the little trees, instead of cooped up in a muddy chicken yard.

Not much ground-breaking news there, friends, but thanks for stopping by. Stay cool!

6 comments:

happyone said...

Lovely colors in the scarf. It always nice to be nice. : )
Like your painting of Arthur.
No hot temperatures here, nice spring weather. It rarely gets hot here. I always say summer is like one long spring. Love the weather. Of course there is all the snow in winter!

Granny Marigold said...

Arthur does look like a mean one. Adam had the right way of giving him a reason to show some roostery restraint.
Your pink Zinnias are lovely. In spite of my re-sowing mine, I think 3 are coming up. Only now. So maybe it's not even Zinnias growing and I've been watering some kind of weeds.

I hope you get a break from the relentless heat soon.

Henny Penny said...

That orange lily is beautiful. Boy is it orange! I like your rooster painting. Wonder why some roosters are mean. You know, we've never had a mean rooster. Our only rooster died last week. He had been looking sad and droopy. I don't understand why. Oh, and put me down for one of your new little books. Thanks!

Lisa Richards said...

Elephant ears always remind me of my older brother. Mom took a photo of him in his swimming suit when he was about 4, posed in front of our elephant ears. He had a twinkle in his eye and Mom said he was threatening to pick one of them. :) Ah, memories! The chicken and biscuits look DELICIOUS! God bless the tree limbing guys, and free mulch!

GretchenJoanna said...

It does seem that most roosters are mean, sooner or later. Why must it be that way? Arthur is indeed beautiful.

Pom Pom said...

Argh! I'm sorry it's so hot. I think we shall have a cooler day tomorrow. Yay! Sabbath knitting!
Your rooster painting is wonderful!
Yum. I'd like to come for dinner the next time Adam makes chicken and biscuits.