Saturday, July 21, 2018

I Thought I'd Posted This ...

Goodness, I'm way behind! Remember I mentioned those warming pouches? Here's the one I've had about five years.
The outer cover comes off for washing, which is an excellent feature.
I took mine apart and turned the cover inside-out so I could measure and see how it's made. The pillow-looking thing is the bag with the flax seed inside.
I made four flax seed-filled bags just like that, with cotton fabric.
I sewed that end quite securely.
I chose these three fabrics ("fat quarters," they're called) at WalMart.
I made the elephant one first -- so cute! It sold at the market today, I think only because it is elephants.
I made four. I'm excited about this new item. My own has been such a good thing, I can market them enthusiastically.
My shampoo bars are cut and curing.
I've struggled with packaging my round soaps, and checked on Pinterest for ideas, of which there are many. I tried the large cupcake liners, but that was a failure.
I've been wrapping them entirely in scrapbooking paper and securing it with tape and a round label. Looks nice, but you can't really see/feel/smell the soap.
So I did a mock-up of a pouch-type package with white paper, and I think I like it.
Then I tried it with the scrapbooking paper.
I'll finish the design later, but generally I like the idea -- customers have access to the soap, but the pouch allows for easy handling.

Why shampoo bars, you ask? When I looked at the ingredient list on my Prell bottle, I found a few ingredients I'd rather do without.
Especially those Lauryl Sulfates and Laureth Sulfates. Lots of words I can't pronounce -- that's how I know I have a product that's probably not good for my body, but is great for color/scent/consistency/shelf-life/traveling across the country and sitting in a warehouse for 6 months.

Adam made the scrummiest dinner yesterday! Taquitos with delicious moist/crispy chicken inside, rice with creamy baked avocado. It was wonderful.
Beau says hello from his perch on the back of the couch.
The only-lonely new chick also says hello. He/she is waiting for his/her siblings to be hatched out, but it seems to be taking a long time.
That's because these eggs were laid and added to the clutch over the course of about a week, so they will hatch out accordingly. And some of them were not fertilized, and will turn into nothing.

That's it from the farm! We finished off our week today (Saturday) by having a most delightful couple from church over for dinner, true fun conversationalists with so many stories to tell of their adventures over the course of many decades. We had such fun talking with them -- once, the husband had to leave his beautiful, handmade-by-him wooden sailboat out in the ocean and abandon ship with his crew, somewhere near Bermuda. What a story! For many years, he hoped to hear news of her washing ashore somewhere. Each Saturday evening we're trying to have two or three church folks over for dinner, just to encourage hospitality among us, and to foster friendship and community that goes beyond Sunday morning.

Thanks for dropping in, friends!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is my first comment here so I just
wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely
enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects?
Many thanks!

happyone said...

Oh the little chick is so very cute.
Isn't it nice to have a husband who cooks once in a while. It is such a treat. : )

Granny Marigold said...

I never thought of using flax seed in the warmers. I used small beans but I don't care for the smell when I warm them in the microwave.
I really like how you're planning to package your soaps! So pretty.
Poor lonely chick. I hope more hatch out soon.

Lisa Richards said...

I love hearing about what you're making for your business! That Adam is such a chef. He's got a real creative knack for cooking as art. After years of holing up by myself, my new church is beginning to stretch me socially. It's a little uncomfortable, but I needed it! Thanking the Lord for my new church family. :) Enjoy yours!

Kezzie said...

Ooh, your shampoo bars sound great! Yes, Sodium Laureth Sulfate is a big nasty! I buy shower gel that doesn't have it in it and I did have some lovely natural shampoo without it but that's run out so am using the Big commercial one that we took from my Father in Law's flat when he died (back in April- still going strong!) and using it up.
The pouch idea is really good for the soap- well done for making something work for you!x

GretchenJoanna said...

What breed of chicken hatches such a colorful chick?

Today I was given a jar of salve made at a monastery. The ingredients are only three: olive oil, beeswax, and water. I thought of you and Jody!