Friday, July 27, 2018

Snipping Tea

This week's rains slowed a bit yesterday afternoon. I went out to clip herbs for tea.
A big basket I found at the thrift store for $2, I think
 Thyme from my newer herb bed looked so pretty, I snipped a bunch for myself. Thyme tea is so good for you.
 These hanging herbs, however, will make tea to sell at the market. I've sold three small tins so far. I'd bought some small tea tins at the thrift store, which kept the cost low for customers, but the profit good for me.
mint on the left, lemon balm in the middle, tarragon on the right
 My difficulty is, I'm unable to find the tins I need to package the tea, at the thrift store. I want small, very clean tins that are pretty. I could order them online or buy them in town, but that would increase the cost of the tea a good bit. I'm considering taking the tea to the market in a very large tin and selling it to customers in small zip-lock bags by scooping it out.
Our storm clouds on Tuesday night
What do you think? Would you likely buy herbal tea that way? It seems I have success making my products, but I'm often stumped when it comes to the packaging. If you have thoughts, please advise. 

8 comments:

melissa said...

Short answer. Definitely. The hippie store where I buy my dried herbs sells out of large, glass canisters. Also, they sell samplers in tiny Ziploc bags, enough for a cup or two.

Henny Penny said...

That picture of the storm clouds is beautiful!! Looks like a painting. I sure would buy your tea in small Ziploc bags. What size small tins do you look for? I might find some when I'm out plundering through thrift stores.

Granny Marigold said...

I think Melissa's idea of a large glass jar or canister sounds perfect. Also the samples, just in case people are not sure if they'll like that particular blend of herbs.

The clouds look amazing! When I took Bracken out at 7 this morning the sky was full of cotton-batting clouds and I had hopes for a cooler day but by 8 the clouds were gone and the temperature rising.

happyone said...

I think that sounds like a good idea.

Debbie Harris said...

I would certainly buy your tea in a zip lock bag. Should you find a nice way of displaying it I would almost sell it that way, then you would have less worry about finding or having to purchase tins. Also, it gives people the choice of how much they would like to purchase.
Your herbs look wonderful by the way. Shows that you pour your love into your garden.
Awesome photo of the clouds in the sky.

Have a blessed weekend~

Lisa Richards said...

Yes, our local health food store sells dried herbs out of large glass jars and you put it in plastic bags. Do you just use the leaves or chop up the whole plant? I might have to do some research and relearn what I've forgotten about herbal teas. Maybe next summer I could grow some. I have a pretty tin, but I suppose it wouldn't make sense to pay postage to get it to you, lol. So much fun to watch your hippy doings! :)

Carolyn said...

I think a large glass jar is a great idea. You could sell the tea in ziploc bags at a set price, or by weight, and the tins could be an additional fee if a customer wants one. Repeat customers can bring their own tins. I might just start a tin collection for you.

Una said...

It's becoming quite trendy and environmentally-friendly here for people to bring their own coffee cups into shops to be filled up. Some of your customers might have favourite tins at home that they would like your tea to go straight into.