Friday, October 26, 2018

A Week of Autumn

At last: sweaters, gloves, warm pants, hot tea all day, egg nog, fuzzy socks, frantic knitting, snoozy dogs, cold rain, space heaters humming, cold sheets, silly Christmas movies.

I brewed up some chai this morning with these spices.
 However, my new favorite tea is my herbal tea with lemon juice and lots of honey. I picked more herbs this week, probably the last of the year before they die back.
lemon balm, mint, tarragon -- lots of flavor!
 I hope I have enough to last the winter.

Until we can buy a new AC/heating unit (the mini-split system) we're using our space heaters like last year. They are cozy.
 

I took the old handmade wreath from the front door, removed the dead decorations, spray painted it a little bit red, and added new Christmas flare. It's rather plain and rustic, but I'm no good at interior decor, that's for sure!

I also picked plantain, yarrow, and dandelion leaves and made some more Healing Herb Ointment. I get such good reports on this product!
 Around here, we just call it "green goo."

I've been knitting a la Miss Marple lately ... in other words,  a lot!! This bulky infinity scarf is actually a bright gem blue.
 And this one's a nice pine green. Camera color is crazy!
 They'll both go to the market tomorrow for sale, along with the ointment.
I finally started a new weave this morning. Crazy yarn.
 I haven't gotten very far. My back is achy and I need a nap :) 
 Years ago a friend gave me some nice yarn. The pink yarn in this weave is some of it. She'd started some little baby booties but not finished them. I thought, "Why not unravel those booties and put that yarn right onto my warp?" So I did.
 What am I reading now? I finished Elizabeth Goudge's autobiography and have moved on to a favorite of hers, The Little White Horse. It's very good, very fun, a delightful children's story. 
 I've seen the Moonacre movie (which I regret). It's not a bad movie, but I can tell already it's woefully inferior to the book and takes great liberties. If you have a choice, go for the book.

It's nap time. Then it's knitting time. Then it's dinner time. 
 The October days have sped by much too fast, and my favorite month is nearly over. I've also been singing more and playing the piano more, since I'm back in the community chorus this semester. And I have a second piano student now! Yay! It's a good thing I'm not working a regular job!

Nearly forgot -- for anybody that didn't see the video I made of the little jewelry pouch:
Here's the youtube video:
Love to all! Enjoy these last October days!

9 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Lots of good stuff going on at your place! I'm liking the funky yarns on your loom. Keep sipping that tea! :)

Kezzie said...

I LOVE Little White Horse- that film IS terrible. The BBC made a better children's series called Moonacre which I loved (and that's how I came across the book).
Your wool scarves are wonderful. I hope your herbs last during the winter. I regret not drying my mint when I had the chance!!!

Granny Marigold said...

I love your string of drying herbs. I'll bet it smells wonderful anywhere nearby.

I just finished reading The Little White Horse! I enjoyed it but I thought around 2/3 of the way through the book it dragged a bit. I persevered and enjoyed the way it ended.

Pom Pom said...

Wow! You are a busy bee! Gretchen and I talked about how many things you do. I DO wish you could have sat at the table with us, too! Now, if those kids come to Denver you MUST come see them and see ME! Woo hoo! It'll happen!

gretchenjoanna said...

I still have not read The Little White Horse! Not sure if it is even on my shelf, but I must get it. I don't think I've read any of Goudge's children's stories...

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You are one busy lady. Your chilly weather sounds good to me. It is cooler here and less humidity but not as cool as I'd like it to be. Tonight it is to go down into the high 60's which will be a blessing that is for sure.

Happy Creating & Happy Fall ~ FlowerLady

Gumbo Lily said...

Love all those herbs you are drying and steeping for tea. I'm also a fan of the healing balm. I always smile when I read about it and how people like it at your market. Your October sounds quite cozy and nice.

Granny Marigold said...

As is often the case my comment didn't go through so I'll try again.

I love the herbs all hung on a line. Aside from the fact that they will make great tea they also look lovely.
I just finished The Little White Horse this past week.

The jewelry pouch is neat. I watched the little video... a lot of work goes into making such.

Henny Penny said...

I like your wreath. Simple is pretty. I love all the yarn too. You are so talented! How did you learn to do so much?