Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Blog Retrieval and Boat Freedom

First, friends -- when my laptop died, and I had to get all my various pages back, my Feedly (where I read your blog posts) lost my list of blogs. So I've been trying to remember all your dear blogs, and find them online, so I can enter them into my Feedly account again. I'm sure I'm missing a few! If I don't visit you for a bit, please blame my inferior memory :(

Second, I have to whine about our boat.

 Did I mention before that it was lifted, and then precariously lowered, by Hurricane Florence? I do believe that it would have slipped back into the water (and floated away into somebody's yard/house/garage/hedge), were it not for another boat, a submerged boat that you can barely see there. Our boat's nose is resting on it. That's why there are two masts sticking up -- one is our boat's, one is the other boat's.

 Our keel is resting on the dock, which it has damaged. Adam says that's about 1000 pounds of keel. He's very nervous about messing with it.
Here's the nose of our boat, resting on the boom of the other boat. I feel like just cutting away that boom! Would that help? Probably not.
If that other boat weren't there, it looks like our boat would have slipped back into the water, clearing that piling, and floated nicely. Wishful thinking!

It is causing Adam no end of distress. This boat has been a thorn in our side for nearly 4 years. We should have pulled it out of the water. We should have sold it. We were planning to ... but then the hurricane came. It's driving us crazy that it's perched on that dock, which doesn't belong to us. The marine owner would very much like it to be gone. There's absolutely nothing we can do. We cannot afford the fee for a marine crane to lift it off -- it's an amount that's out of the question. We can't find another way to get it back into the water.

So we need help. We need advice. We need ideas. We need friends who know all about boats, who might have some wacky idea, or who have seen their uncle years ago deal with such a scenario. The boat is a little under 19' long, a Cape Dory Typhoon. At this point, we care little about the boat. We care more about the marina owner, and not offending him or causing him distress. We'd love to salvage the boat, but that may be impossible. We'd gladly give the boat to anybody who could get it off the dock.

If anybody reading this has anything good to contribute, please do!


7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Oh! Your poor boat didn't fare so well. Neither did the one directly under it. I hope someone who knows about such things can help you.

melissa said...

Gary's brother, Scott, or his dad might have ideas. I seem to remember Scott being your FB friend. They've always had boats. Always.

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi M.K., what about insurance? You didn't have any on it that would cover for this problem and pay a barge to come in and lift it off with a crane? I hope someone in your community sees you need help and can arrange something for you. Whatever happens I hope all involved are safe.

Kezzie said...

I'm really sorry I don't really have any advice- not really my field of knowledge- hope someone can help1

GretchenJoanna said...

What a predicament! There, that is my contribution. Sadness. :-(

Granny Marigold said...

I came back to check whether my comment had posted and found that once again it had not. Anyway, now I see from today's blog post that the problem has been resolved. I'm sorry your boat had to go though. Not that I know anything about boats but it did look kind of neat.

Ida said...

Well it's a bummer about your boat and also losing your blog roll contacts. Just in case you lost mine I'm posting today so you can add it back.