Saturday, October 13, 2018

Hodge-Podge

Yesterday was burn pile day. I do love a day outside, burning brush, carrying limbs and sticks, sitting in the grass with Adam and the dogs, feeling that good weariness after hard work, and the satisfaction of cleaning up mountains of brush.

This week Adam also removed our old HVAC system. Some kind stranger took it from the side of the road, probably wanting some semi-valuable component buried deep inside.

We're glad it's gone. When we receive a check for replacing it, Adam plans to install a duct-less mini-split heating and A/C system. Don't know much about it, but it sounds like a great idea, and no duct work under the house! Yay!

I finally visited the thrift store and discovered a basket of fancy yarns, 3 skeins for a dollar. Yes, you read that right. I was in Yarn Heaven. Do I need more yarn? No. Would I buy more yarn at Michael's? No. But would I pass up a deal like this? No way! Here's the addition to my stash:
$4.00 for ALL of that! (I think they gave me more of a deal than they were supposed to.) Here are some close-ups of various ones, for you fellow yarn slaves who cannot resist giving a new home to homeless yarn:
 

 

One of my favorite customers brought an interesting article to my table this morning for me to examine. It's a little traveling jewelry pouch.
She's had it for many years and hasn't been able to find a replacement. She wonders if I could make some. They'd make wonderful gifts. I might give it a try.

Lastly, I've decided to get rid of most of my old homeschooling books. I bought many of these as recommended by Susan Bauer's reading lists in her book. If anyone reading this blog wants any of these books, they are $1 each, and you must pay book-rate shipping. Just leave a comment and I'll be in touch. Here they are:




I'll end with a little photo and tiny poem that I shamelessly stole from Granny Marigold's blog. It tickled me and I just had to have it:
I can relate.

Oh -- did I mention that our black lab, Ned, is now transitioning to being a mostly "inside" dog? Since Baby died, he is just too sad and lonely outside in the pasture, especially at night. So we're working on adapting him to house life.
 I think he's doing just fine.

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I'm so happy you like Susan Wheeler's greedy little mouse shoving chocolate cake into her mouth.
And I'm glad Ned is adapting to life as a house dog now that his buddy is no more. He looks quite well adjusted already!!
I wouldn't know what to do with that lovely yarn but I'm thrilled for you that you found it.

Sandi said...

Mary Kathryn, I would love to buy the three Ecce Romani books and the Latin dictionary. I’ll comment on Facebook, too. Sandi

Una said...

Gorgeous wool. That was a real bargain.

magsmcc said...

Ecce Romani!! Sund Marcus et Sextus still sub arbore? I loved those books!