Thursday, August 15, 2019

Drought Survivor

Our yard is full of hurricane survivors, flood survivors, and this summer ... drought survivors. Sturdy plants!
However, one special plant did not survive the drought this summer. When I returned from Mississippi one plant was dry and apparently dead. My mother gave me this plant over a decade ago. I even used it in a blog banner!
It's a creeping fig. I love its leaves and how it clings to walls. I cut half of the plant out last year and planted it near the front porch, hoping it would climb the house. It's on its way!

But back to the potted plant, dead from drought. I've nearly killed it several times, but this time I seemed to have succeeded.

 I can identify, can you? What are we deprived of, that kills us off? Love from a family member who's turned a back on us? Love from friends who seem to forget us? Financial security? A feeling of self-worth? Mental health? Or worst -- feeling a lack of the love of God? Are you dry and parched, all your roots dying from a lack of ... something?

I checked that plant a few days ago. Under the dead brown trailing branches I found this:
 At first it was just one tiny leaf, then a few more, then more again. This is a kitty-cat plant with nine lives!
When I saw the first green leaf, I plopped the pot into the tub of rain water. (Yes, we've had rain at last.) Those roots must be drinking up the moisture, saying, "Oh, thank you!"

Friend, we aren't as dead as we think. We may be brown and shriveled and dead-looking on the outside, but we have roots simply waiting for rain water. What's your rain? Mine is creativity. And time alone with my Bible. And a cheerful friend. And making plans, happy plans into the future with a kind spouse. Sometimes we have to leave the drought behind us on the calendar and move ahead to rainier days. There is nothing else to do if we care to survive. We must water our roots from below even when the skies above are dry.

10 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Good thoughts! Glad to see the kitty plant pulled through!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

It is wonderful how God can bring us back to life when all seems to be dead and gone. Glad your vine has come back for you.
Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Nancyteatime said...

I love your analogy of the dead (or not-quite dead) plant! Creativity definitely helps my heart to bloom into lush greenness after a drought. And the older I get, the more I agree that it takes action and doesn't just happen.

GretchenJoanna said...

That is a plant to treasure, for many reasons. I'm so happy it revived!

M.K. said...

Haha - I may need to start calling her that :)

M.K. said...

Thank you, FL. I hope your August is doing okay. Fall is coming!

M.K. said...

That is so true, Nancy! I seem to need more creativity, and more "tender care of self" as I age.

M.K. said...

Me too, GJ!

Pom Pom said...

Hello MK! Yay for water to moisten our souls. I love the mitts on the last post! (BIG HUG!)

Gumbo Lily said...

Hoping you will become saturated with much needed moisture. How wonderful that the life of your plant has caused you to see things differently. I love that.