Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Painting for the Hurricane

Yes, I decided to stay for the storm. I couldn't face another road trip just yet; a night of howling chaos outside followed by some days of no air conditioning seemed preferable to bumper-to-bumper evacuation traffic. 

Hurricane Dorian is due to arrive in our backyard in about 24 hours or so. Very early Friday morning (in the wee hours) should be the worst. As long as a tree doesn't fall on the house, I'm not really scared of wind or rain or thunder. We may get a little flooding but nothing like we've seen from the Bahamas -- nothing.

To calm my 'fraid nerves I've been painting. Little cards wouldn't do it for me, so I went hunting for a resource photo online and found this:


Image result for watercolor painting blue flowers
This is NOT my art work. I'm just using it as inspiration.

I tried a little card first -- an imitation.
Then I pulled out the massive roll of watercolor paper my son and daughter-in-law gave me, whacked off a big piece, and started painting before I could chicken out. I haven't done much "big" work. But since its only purpose was to calm me down before a hurricane, who cared if it turned out awful? Here is the development of the Hurricane Painting:

The ugliest flower. I worked on it later. Ugh.






I cannot describe how delightful it is to lay water down on the paper in a shape, dip my wet brush into some wet pigment, dot it into the water, and see it spread within the boundaries of that water. Ahh -- calming. I like it better than some of the other bigger ones I did, and I might swap them in the frames soon. I think I could paint those blue flowers for hours.

Tomorrow I'll need to paint again. Last day before the onslaught. Dorian should pass just next to us, rather quickly. But it will feel like a hurricane, no doubt about that. Most of the people we know who've lived here a while are staying also. Here's to hunkering down!


6 comments:

magsmcc said...

We only had one day of “hurricane” two years ago. We loved it! We hunkered down, made ourselves cosy, offered hospitality, laid out emergency heat and cooking. Basked all day and all night in home. We were blessed with little damage and no injury. Praying all the same home love for you x

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Praying for your safety and no damages to your home. I came home yesterday morning from staying with my friend since Sun. afternoon, who lives in a concrete house, new roof and hurricane proof windows. Was so relieved Tues afternoon to see Dorian staying east and heading northward. (It had been headed straight for us.) The devastation to the Bahamas is heart breaking. I pray for those people and for all in the path of Dorian, while not a cat 5, it is still a strong storm.

I think your paintings are lovely. I can see how this would be soothing, especially before a storm.

Love, hugs and prayers for you, Adam and your critters ~ FlowerLady

Nancyteatime said...

I keep thinking about and praying for you! But what a beautiful hurricane bouquet you've painted for yourself. It's your way of making lemonade out of lemons, and I applaud you!

That all being said, I'll be really glad for you when the hurricane has gone on its way.

M.K. said...

THank you, FL. I'm so, so thankful that Dorian passed you by! Glad you were safe.

M.K. said...

Thank you, Mags - sounds like your hurricane was a mile, fun one :)

M.K. said...

Thank you so much, Nancy! We are safe and Dorian is gone. Back to life as normal!