Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The First Cool Morning

That was this morning - I walked out on the back deck, felt the breeze (blowing east from Hurricane Humberto, thank you, Humberto) and said, "Ahh! I survived another horrid summer!"
Yesterday Henny Penny took her four babies out into the big world of the chicken pen for the first time. (Oh, sorry about the Instagram link! But if you click over, I think you can watch it fine.)



View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Mary Kathryn Christiansen (@marykathryn.christiansen) on
Adam has been working many hours for the U.S. Census, which means I have many hours at home alone in a quiet house, just Beau and I. I love peaceful, productive morning hours at my desk.
 I've learned, after all these years, how to make the perfect little French press of coffee for myself. A candle. Diffuser oil. A little lotta editing.
Before the editing, I paint. My brain's not awake yet, and painting is a good first activity.
A little water, a little paint.





 Writing and editing are much harder than painting. Adam says they're much harder than walking/driving around door-to-door gathering census information too. But we both love writing. When I can't fall asleep at night, I lie in bed thinking through the plot of whatever story I'm at plot-thinking stage in. It helps me fall asleep.
Sunset on Saturday. We are heading into a pretty time of year.

3 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

I also prefer the cooler weather. Enjoy your quiet creativity!

Debbie Harris said...

Your paintings are always so beautiful.
I have a sister-in-law that makes her own French press coffee and its wonderful.
I enjoy a good cup of black coffee once in awhile.

Joy to you ♡

Kezzie said...

Your paintings soothe my soul! I love seeing the delicate strokes of paint and sense your calm through what you have created!
I like it a bit cooler too but not freezing! It's quite nice so far this morning!