Tuesday, February 25, 2020

A Couple of Creative Days

First I'll start with Adam, who's been working on English muffins and a Kitchenaid mixer. Do you have a Kitchenaid Mixer? Aren't they wonderful? Yes! Well ... until they start to rattle and shake and ominously drip black grease into your cake batter. We got rid of a Kitchenaid mixer many years ago for these reasons and bought another one for $250. Now they're $350, I think.
Adam made a repair video for Kitchenaid mixers, to replace the grease and the gasket, so you can spend $12 on a DIY repair, instead of buying a new mixer. Here's the video, if you ever need it! Kitchenaid recommends you replace the grease every ... five years!

He also attempted English muffins from the recipe in the "Baking Bible" cookbook, but they turned out like lovely biscuits.
 Quite yummy for breakfast.
He will try again for the nooks and crannies of an English muffin.

I've been painting (again). I saw the sweetest watercolor on facebook of a dog. It was painted by Colleen Reynolds from Nevada.

Oh my goodness ... she is GOOD. She painted this wet-on-wet, which means the paper is very wet with water, and the paint is watery too. That means the paint is quite unpredictable, but look at her results!! She made a youtube video of this painting, so I watched it too, and I felt challenged and inspired.
If you enjoy watercolor, do watch it. She is amazing.

Anyway, I had a photo of Beau, and I decided, "Why not try? What's the worst that could happen? I waste a morning and a bit of paper and paint?" Well, my results are not glorious as hers, but it was good practice. Here's a few photos:
the original:
somewhere along the line 
when the paper was quite wet:
I can't tell you how hard it is to get anything useful from a painting when the paint is running everywhere! Here's the end result:

I think he looks more like a ferret than a dog. But then maybe Beau does look more like a ferret? Haha. We joke that he's more cat than dog. 
Learning how to paint is a long process (like many things), and one goes through lots of paper and paint and produces many worthless things before it's much good. But it's fulfilling even when it's mediocre. I'd like to paint a corgi like Colleen did, and give it to my mother, who loves corgis. 

I also spent about an hour today chatting with Anna on facetime and grinning at Isaac. I love facetime video - how could I survive being a Nana without it? We do that about once a week at least. It makes me so happy.

I hope your week is beginning fine. It's hard to survive the cabin fever of January and THEN February too. We all want spring, both in the garden and in our hearts, don't we? May you all feel springy today!

8 comments:

Sandi said...

Wow! You did a good job with the eyes!

Granny Marigold said...

It's so great that you can see Isaac and he can see you so that when he sees you next time he'll recognize you and not be all shy.
I finally got rid of my big old stand mixer ( not Kitchenaid. But similar.) It was too heavy for me to lift onto the counter and really, I can manage without it.

Retired Knitter said...

WOW lady I think your painting of a dogs is SENSATIONAL!! You have such a gift for this. I have never painted anything but I have heard from folks who do that water color painting is a very different skill and harder than it looks. Hats off to you.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You did a great job with Beau's watercolor portrait. His eyes draw you in.

Enjoy your week ~ FlowerLady

Kezzie said...

I love your painting of Beau! What a beautiful painting! She DOESN'T look like a ferret!

Henny Penny said...

Your painting is wonderful! You sure did get his big dark watery eyes. He is adorable. You are so right about making it through January and then February, waiting for spring. February has always been the hardest month for me. It's hard to star cheerful when the days are cloudy and dreary and rainy and we've sure had a lot of that. We have a lot to be thankful for though.

GretchenJoanna said...

I agree that your painting is a success!

Adam has done a wonderful service to teach people how to fix those machines and get them beating smoothly again. :-)

Lisa Richards said...

Yes, wet-on-wet is hard! Beau's eyes are really good! And your mention of biscuits is making me yearn for some baking powder biscuits. That's something that usually turns out well for me. :) Spring takes a while to arrive in my neck of the woods, so I'll continue with hygge thoughts for now! :)