Sunday, February 9, 2020

Good-Bye, Fiona

 At last! Our decrepit vehicle, purchased over a decade ago, used but little, is finally gone. This housewife says, "Hooray!"
We named her Fiona back then. The only service she ever gave us was as a college car for our oldest child for about a year, but she gave us more terror on the road than relief.
Adam donated her to a Veterans organization to be sold.

 Fiona sat in our garage and was full to the brim of MICE. Oh yes. I don't know if you can see him in the photo below, but as the car sat on the flat bed of the truck, a large rat scurried around, wondering how his life was disturbed.
I thought I could hear him muttering, "Anna Maria! Anna Maria! We are discovered and interrupted!"

 My hens are laying in a haphazard way -- one egg one day, three eggs the next. A few days ago I was left the most monstrous-sized egg! It's over 3" long.

 It weighs in over 3 oz. A "jumbo" egg is 2.5 oz. What do we call this? Monster egg!
Adam baked a lovely chocolate cake for our church Valentine's supper. In the middle is chocolate ganache and raspberries. Chocolate buttercream is on top.
I'm over my bout of flu, but I still don't feel 100%. My tummy is quite easily upset after almost every meal. It didn't keep me from that chocolate cake though! I hope you all are well, friends. Thank you for stopping by!

8 comments:

Sandi said...

I can not believe you were able to sell a car full of mice!

avery said...

Ahhh, farewell, car!

Additionally, that egg means business. You should be sure to respect such an egg.

Granny Marigold said...

That egg is huge!! I wonder if it will be a double-yolker.
Adam's cake looks amazing and I can imagine how delicious it was. Yum.
I plan on making a pecan pie for Valentines supper and maybe a Boston cream pie ( WHY is it called Boston cream PIE when it's really a cake??) Anyway, both are favourites of my DH.
Hopefully your tummy problems won't hang around for long.
Have a good week.

Lisa Richards said...

I suppose the rat decided to stay with you? Ha ha!
That is an impressive egg. Did a goose invade your hen house?
Hope you're 100% soon!

Pom Pom said...

Mice! Yikes! It's so good to get rid of stuff. We gave our treadmill to a young couple and they were thrilled and I am thrilled about having more space! I hate walking on treadmills anyway.
Take it VERY easy as you recover. Don't push. Eat cake.

Henny Penny said...

I was almost afraid to look and see who had the name Fiona. Glad it's the old car you didn't like. Our hens have started laying too and how funny...we are getting one egg one day and three the nest. We have never had a hen lay such a large egg! That one egg might be enough for breakfast for you both. :)It's huge! That cake looks amazing! Bet it's delicious too.

Retired Knitter said...

I buy jumbo eggs all the time and many of them are double yokes. I can't image how big that egg was. How many yokes did it have.

The last car I named was my Maxima. When we finally traded that car in (had to - it had an oil leak that would have cost more than the value of the car), I was in tears. Naming things had to stop for me. My current car does not have a name. It is a machine and I won't give it a name - because if I do I will become attached emotionally - and it is stupid to cry over a car.

magsmcc said...

So much news and you sound still to be very much recuperating. Let your mind catch up with your body, or catch down x It's the middle of a dark Storm Dennis night here and I'm back out of bed drinking chamomile tea! Thinking of you across the wide and windy sea xxx