Wednesday, October 14, 2020

How I Feel About My Suffering

(This is a religious post, just so you know ~)

Some of you are suffering, I know. I am too. My heart aches for friends who are in such distress right now: loved ones very ill, job loss, crises with kids, marriages unraveling. My present suffering is anxiety, which (according to my therapist) is defined as: 1) uncertainty, and 2) self-doubt. That's a helpful definition.

A verse from Scripture that has puzzled me for years is this one: "But to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing." (I Peter 4:13) I've pondered long over what exactly it means to "share the sufferings of Christ." Recently I decided to make a list of some possible ways our sufferings could be a sharing with Jesus's sufferings -- how are our sufferings like His?

1. Does your suffering bring glory to God?

2. Does your suffering stem from any self-sacrifice of yourself for others?

3. Does your suffering come because you are in any way obeying God's call in your life?

4. Does your suffering come to you because of your love for, or commitment to, someone else?

5. Is your suffering ever done in quiet surrender?

6. Does your suffering ever require you to bear someone else's grief or carry their sorrows?

7. Does your suffering seem insanely unfair to you, like you are being sacrificed?

8. Does your suffering seem to diminish you, humble you, or curtail your potential?

These are descriptors, I think, of Jesus's suffering, and sometimes of ours too. You may not think you ever share in Jesus's sufferings, but probably you do. His suffering came from love, self-sacrifice, humility, patience, and obedience. 

It has helped me to have definitions, to put a finger on the problem and look it in its face. I look at my anxiety and I say to it, "I know you. You are my self-doubt. I'm working on that." Or, "I know you, you are uncertainty in my future. I'm working on that too." My uncertainty and my self-doubt have come about, at times, because of my sacrifices for others, and I bet your sufferings have come for that reason too. 

Be comforted, friend. Peter finishes with, "Let those also who suffer according to the will of God entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right." God doesn't want me to be anxious, but He has given me the situations that have produced that self-doubt and uncertainty, and He wants me to trust myself to Him, in the middle of those feelings. Trust that He knows what He's doing. Trust that with help I can manage it. Trust His promises to be with me as I walk this road.

As you wake up today and deal with your suffering, remember that Jesus suffers with you and won't leave you. There's a purpose. If nothing else, suffering like He did will make us like Him, won't it?


3 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Our God is always with us. We were not promised an easy road, but we are promised that He will never leave or forsake us. We are to 'cast all of our cares on Him because He cares for us.' He works all things out for His honor and glory and for our good when we love Him. We are to not be anxious, to be of good courage, not be dismayed and to trust in Him always. ~ Anxiety is something I deal with also. Jesus is my strength when I am weak. ~ Love, hugs and prayers for you dear MK ~ FlowerLady

Lisa Richards said...

Yes, anxiety is something I've struggled with over my entire life. I find I'm mostly anxious for others (my children), and I find this stems from thinking too much of my own ability to solve their problems. I've had to trust God to work in their lives as I do my part of praying. I think Lorraine expressed it well. I had always just thought that scripture was talking about going through persecution because we follow Him, and I still think that's mainly what it's about. But you've shown me some other nuances to the question. It's so good to know He will never leave us or forsake us! :)

magsmcc said...

Yes; amen; thank you. I am trying to rejoice too, and to say thank you for the suffering even/especially when I don't understand it. This is a sacrifice of praise for me, but then look at the scale of Christ's sacrifice.