Sunday, October 25, 2020

In for the Long Haul

 I read Elaine's post today ("Retired Knitter") about how she's felt during the pandemic. What a kindred mind! She says she feels she's "slipping." I'd say I'm putting things off, putting off laundry, and especially house cleaning. How long can one put off dusting and vacuuming when one never has any company in the house at all for eight months? It's too too easy to become a sluggard. As Elaine says, the world won't stop turning (ha! the world will neither know nor care!) if I don't vacuum today. It makes one ask, "How much do I really care about all this fiddly stuff I do every day?" One of the first things that left my brain was writing, which was sad -- a little bit of anxiety makes creative stories vacate my brain.

Daughter Anna and grandbaby Isaac are here for a visit! I snapped this photo in WalMart. Why have I not taken more photos? I must correct that. He's a delight and so fun. Anna is getting some good naps, and I'm inwardly bubbling with delight that my little home gets to be a "granny house" for a while, Nana's house. Sigh. How wonderful to have them here! We went for a long walk on the property looking for plantain, and strolled out to the garden. He loves being outside.

Adam may or may not travel this winter during the pandemic; his health is pretty delicate. So Anna felt strongly that she needed to come see us while she could still fit behind the steering wheel. (She's pregnant now too.) Plans are not so much called off, as uncertain. Will we travel? When? How? For how long? It's hard to know.

I'm thankful I had my back surgery before the surge in Covid-19 cases began. I'm recovering well. I had a large lipoma removed and am sporting a 3" scar. That lipoma must've been putting pressure on other things, because so much of my general back and torso discomfort is gone, and I haven't had acid reflux since the surgery. What a relief to have that thing removed!

Adam made some yummy pizza tonight. He can't eat cured meats now, so my pizza toppings were pineapple, sauteed onions, and smoked pork.

I met the sweetest dog on Saturday, named Frankie. He's a Bernedoodle.

I made cookies for Anna and Isaac, 
and now they are all gone.

A little chicken painting:




This last is a scarf I finished this past week. It's time for these at the farmer's market. But painting and yarn work are put away while Isaac is here, of course! Nana priorities are in full swing! The house is strewn with toys, and all my vacuum attachments are scattered around. It's his favorite toy. It's a good thing somebody around here is willing to vacuum!

6 comments:

magsmcc said...

You know that i could try to be very disciplined and mature, and comment insightfully on this wonderful post. But you also know that all of my being is just screaming, PUMPKIN, and a glorious specimen it is too! Here the shops seem only to have tiny ones, or green ones, and maybe that sums up this autumn for me. No platonic ideals to be had anywhere. Making the most of this situation. You do seem from outside the blog to be doing just that, hunkering down, tending to all these big big issues with faith and stoicism. I am so glad that joy has come with Anna and Isaac, and that you'll all be travelling to meet each other soon. Stay well x

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I enjoyed your happy post dear MK. So wonderful for you to have some Nana time. He is adorable, and now has a sibling on the way. Congrats to all of you. ~ I hear you on the house cleaning. But, I am in the mood to do something about it. ~ May you and Adam have more healthy, happy days ~ May you sell out when you do the market shows ~ FlowerLady

Kathie said...

I agree about the Covid Malaise.. I look around my house, at the general daily stuff which accumulates and think "why clean it?" Argh.

Flying or otherwise being in close quarters with strangers during this time would definitely not be a great idea for those suffering from immune issues. It is wonderful your daughter drove out to see you! I think Nanas make the world go around ❤

Granny Marigold said...

I haven't missed having company at all. I've found that apart from my children and grandchildren I'm perfectly happy to be at home with no visitors. I wonder if I should worry about this.
You must be so happy to be spending time with Anna and Isaac.
When I was pregnant with my second we still lived close to my parents and I'd go spend the day with my Mom. She'd make food for me ( I was morning sick all day long) and the food she made tasted so good and didn't make me feel ill at all. So dote on Anna all you can while she's at your place.

gretchenjoanna said...

Oh, what a joy, to have your daughter and family with you! Isaac is awfully cute -- he will have fun with a new sibling. Congratulations on that news :-)

XOXO

Pom Pom said...

Oh my! WHAT a grand! He's darling!