Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Nourishing the Mind

 As we all live through a pandemic, it seems that mental self-care becomes more important. We discover that our daily habits and interactions, now lost to us, did more good for our mental health than we realized. When your mind and heart are damaged by worry and a bit starved, how do you nourish yourself? 

I think you nourish your mind with beauty. That's why God gave us beauty -- to nourish our hearts and minds, to soothe them. Beauty is a balm. In that vein, here are a few Youtube opportunities for you to do that!

Exploring the Cotswolds -- I just discovered this channel and look forward to touring one of England's most beautiful places, discovering how much of its old beauty is still there after hundreds of years.

William Morris wallpaper, "Trellis"

William Morris: Useful Beauty in the Home -- This short video is a delight! I had no idea about Morris's team, and their philosophy of usefulness in hand-crafted items. I believe that too. I enjoy feeling I'm part of a long tradition of hand-crafters.

Standen Farmhouse, East Grinstead, UK

The Repair Shop -- Following that idea, this delightful show (my all-time favorite lately) of English repair people, lovingly restoring their neighbors' family treasures, is comforting and reassures me about the goodness of human nature.

Gardeners Cottage Blakeney -- Do you find beauty in gardens? This Youtube channel from Norfolk, England, is enchanting.

The Cottage Fairy -- I just found this beautiful, peaceful channel of a young girl in northern Washington state, U.S.  So many people are crafting Youtube channels for beauty's sake, sharing both their desire for peace and love for hand-crafted things, with their viewers. In 6 minutes, I can tell this girl's channel is one I will enjoy. We share some common loves.

The Elliot Homestead -- I'd forgotten about this fun channel full of beautiful video. This sweet farm family live and work in Washington state too, and how she has the time to make such beautiful videos, I don't know!

Ambient music from The Chronicles of Narnia -- I need auditory beauty too, since I'm a music person. This is what I listen to while I'm painting. There are many ambient music videos on Youtube!

Normally, we all don't have time to watch so much Youtube, or if we do, we feel guilty about it, as if we're wasting time. But this winter, as the pandemic rages through the population again, we'll find ourselves at home. It is not wasting time to watch beauty, especially to watch others create beauty. A video itself can be quite beautifully crafted! Make yourself a cup-of-something, sit back in your comfy chair, and enjoy your fellow humans as they create. It nourishes the heart.




8 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Some interesting YouTube finds. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sandi said...

Thank you for sharing those channels. I took a look at them. Wonderful!

Kathie said...

Thank you for sharing! In these dark days, we all need to see beauty- even briefly- every day for good Soul Health.

Granny Marigold said...

Several of the Youtube channels that you list sound very interesting to me and I've bookmarked them for a rainy day. I've been watching The Cottage Fairy for a while and enjoy her peaceful ways. Although I must admit to wondering how peaceful her life would be if she had children.
There's another channel that has the word 'fairy' in it but I can't for the likes of me remember what it is. I do hope I remember.
So, thanks for the tips. I'm going to enjoy exploring them.

gretchenjoanna said...

Thanks, Mary Kathryn, I followed your link and am listening to the Narnia music right now :-)

Pom Pom said...

I'm always hunting for more entertaining YouTubers. I grew tired of the knitters and a little tired of the cross stitch community. I wish I was a better searcher.
I'm so picky! I'm not sure why!
It's sunny here today and that's a very happy thing. I think I'll bike around the neighborhood.
Sending lots of love your way!

Granny Marigold said...

Hi MK, I'm positive I left a comment days ago but maybe I didn't press publish. I agree that we're going to have more time this winter, especially after Christmas when things get dreary as we wait for Spring and it will be a lovely distraction to visit these and other Youtube videos. I've been visiting The Cottage Fairy for a while and she is definitely an inspiring person.

Lisa Richards said...

I just watched the Cotswold guy last night! I think he just popped up on my suggestions. What a coinkydink! I love the Elliot Homestead, too. I've watched tons of her videos and also wonder how she has the time to do it. I've long loved William Morris's philosophy of not owning anything that isn't either useful or beautiful, to paraphrase him. It's a good way to keep belongings under control. I've watched the Cottage Fairy before also. She's interesting but a little too Pagan/new agey for me. (Thanking the tree for it's pinecones, mentioning magickle (sp?) friends, having a "partner" and other little comments.) She has a cute little home. Sounds like her family helps her a lot, which is great. She does do a really good job on her videos. I've come across a lot of Ambience videos, too. I especially like the ones of old libraries with a crackling fire! Thanks for all of the inspiration! :)