Sunday, October 11, 2020

October, Wait!

 Is October flying by? I used to slowly savor every moment of perfection - the dry and crumbling leaves underfoot, the blue skies laced with crying geese, the little caresses of cool breeze. This year, I've had to work hard to remember this is the beloved month. As I age, I find myself saying to myself, "I'll do better next year. Next year I will taste each moment of autumn in my mouth, making the days pass slow. This year ... it's too hard."

Gotta change that!


I'm deep into yarn work now, weaving and spinning. The farmer's market has been going well, and I must must do more painting of cards! They sell very well. I want woven scarves to sell soon as the weather cools, but they are so time-consuming to make.

Last night our church family enjoyed an outdoor party of sorts -- a chili cook-out. Large pots of chili, pans of warm cornbread, desserts, and s'mores over a fire pit. It was very fun, and wonderfully safe to see each other's smiling faces outside in a light breeze off the creek. We all needed it so much.


There were even dogs.😁
I'll give you a little update on Adam too. He's been taking Cellcept and prednisone, which have kept his symptoms under control. The goal, however, is for the Cellcept to take over the job, and for him to be able to reduce and gradually quit taking the prednisone. (Steroids are so bad for you, esp. at 40 mg/day.) Well, the Cellcept is not doing its job. Next week he'll try one last time to reduce his prednisone, but if it doesn't work he will transfer to a new medicine. It's a bit discouraging because he's spent 3 months taking this drug, but it can't be helped. I'll be honest -- it's a struggle for him many days, dealing with all the side-effects of those 2 medications. 

I continue with doctoring. This week I'll have a large lipoma (benign, harmless, uncomfortable) removed from my back -- outpatient surgery. It will be sore. I have to quarantine all week for it. And apparently I also have something called esophageal spasms. They only happen about (I think) twice a year, rather random, and are quite painful in the entire torso area. I didn't know what in the world they were, but now I do. I take a couple of tylenol and lie down, and after a while the pain goes away. 

I've been buying up all the lovely hardly-used baby clothes at our nearby thrift store (such a nice one) for the new grandbabies coming! The baby boy is coming next month, and the baby girl is coming in February. What exciting times! I think I may be out of town a lot, Covid or no Covid! I am ready to hold some grandbabies.



Lastly, I'll post here a couple of the Youtube videos I've done recently. This first one is about a repair/sewing project I did for a dear friend, bringing her childhood Christmas tree angel back to life:


And this second one is a "hodge-podge" of various things -- chickens, more about those baby clothes, etc. 


If you go over to my channel (click here), there's also a longer video showing all about warping and weaving on my loom, if you want to watch that. If you haven't done so yet, click the "thumb's up" button 👍 and click on the big red "Subscribe" box. It sure helps Youtube to put my videos out there for other people to find. Thank you, friends!




6 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Both you and Adam are certainly having a difficult year. The esophageal
spasms sound pretty awful.
Hopefully medication will be found that will help Adam long term without too many bad side effects.
Those new grandbabies will be a delightful distraction I'm sure.

Lisa Richards said...

Aw, nice that your church got together and ate delicious food! Looks like a good time. I've noticed the time flying by, too. Is it because we're getting older? Praying for answers for Adam and you! Taste the joys of autumn, my friend! :)

melissa said...

Grandbabies? I know about your oldest son's wife expecting, but who else? So exciting. 🥰

magsmcc said...

I really must learn how to do youtube channel subscribing things. I want to bathe in the sound of your voice! Perhaps October is flying past, but it's taking you fast on its tails with your busy-ness x

Kezzie said...

The woven scarf is already looking gorgeous! YES, to more cards- they are so nice.
I am sorry to hear Adam's medicine wasn't working- here's hoping the next one is better.
The fox babygrow is adorable!

Una said...

I recently started volunteering in a charity shop. We have fantastic baby clothes for 50p (50 cents?) each. When I remember the clothes my daughter grew out of before wearing them, I cringe. Buying new baby clothes is definitely not necessary.