Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Adam's Cream Sauce

My mother taught me to make a white sauce by starting with a roux, and that's a fine recipe. However, I've become fond of Adam's white sauce now. Here's how he makes it. This is a white sauce for one person.
Put a tablespoon of butter in a small skillet to saute some finely chopped garlic.

At the same time, boil your water and put your pasta in a separate pot.
When the garlic is a little soft, add some light cream, about 1/4 cup, and stir gently.
Cook this on medium heat for about 8 minutes.
The last step is to add a little more butter, about a teaspoon. This is called "mounting the butter."
The extra butter at this stage causes the sauce to thicken just enough. Stir until it thickens, add some grated parmesan cheese and let it melt, and then pour over your drained pasta.
This sauce is so quick and delicious. Be sure to put in enough cheese that it doesn't just taste like a milk sauce. Cooking for one can be quick and delicious!

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

That cream sauce couldn't be much simpler. If I add some grated cheddar my DH will like it just fine.

Debbie Nolan said...

Mary - this certainly looks delicious. Will have to give it a try. Hope you have a good weekend.

Henny Penny said...

That sauce looks creamy and delicious. Oh, I've just read your comment on my post about Madison graduating from West Virginia University. Thank you. I had forgotten that you are from West Virginia. I will remember your brother's farm in Lewisburg, when we do get to go. I'll email you. Madison may have, at some point met one of your neices or nephews at the college. She has met the nicest boy. He is from West Virginia too, and there studying to be a dentist. He is 7'2" !! Looking pretty serious too. Can't wait to meet him. :)

gretchenjoanna said...

A cream sauce with no flour would be extra creamy and grain-free -- that sounds great to me!