Friday, June 5, 2020

Rescuing Limoges

Adam has been so sick (more about that in a second), and sometimes I need a break to cope. Yesterday I went down to the thrift store just before they closed. Granny Marigold, this is for you! I rescued some Limoges china! Yes, I did!
 It was so lovely and delicate, I could not leave it there, sad in its cardboard box on the shelf among the ugly mugs. 

I'm making these photos nice and big, Granny Marigold!
There were 3 plates (salad plates, I think?), 4 saucers, and a single cup. All for $4. That tea cup is lighter than air, the bone china is so thin.

Now, on to Adam. Yesterday afternoon he said quietly to me, "Now, I don't want to scare you or anything, but I think it's time to go to the E.R."
So we went. They do triage in a tent in the parking lot because of coronavirus. This is as far as I got. That's Adam's knee in the orange shorts. Why do men wear their ugliest clothing to the hospital?

He was in very bad shape. With a CT scan, they discovered he has a peritonsillar abscess in his throat. This can result from Mononucleosis (so says Google), which he's had since late March. They will do an endoscopy today of his throat and then an ENT surgeon will address the abscess. They're also treating his very swollen mouth/tongue/lips with steroids and are doing a biopsy because of the appalling, large sores in his mouth and on his tongue. The poor man has suffered like Job with this for many weeks. He's been sick since at least March 24, when I noticed he had started bandaging his eye. 

I wish I could get him back home today. A home is a very lonely place when one's beloved spouse is gone. The dogs are moping. I woke at 4:26. We've already been texting back and forth before 6:00 a.m. He says he is remarkably comfortable. He has 2 IV's with steroids, antibiotics, and antifungals, plus fluids. He was dehydrated. 

Just as a reminder to me in future, and as a cautionary tale for you readers -- Adam went to an ENT doctor in New Bern on May 18, two and a half weeks ago. Adam was referred by his P.T., who requested an endoscopy of his throat. This would have shown the abscess, but Dr. Grant did not do that. He felt Adam's throat, wondered why the P.T. had even sent Adam to him, told Adam he did not have cancer, and sent him on his way with a blister pack of steriods that lasted 5 days, and a prescription for "Duke's Magic Mouthwash" that cost us $25. 

Today, Dr. Grant is the ENT the hospital has called in to do an endoscopy to determine the size of the abscess, before another ENT surgeon comes in to address it. I bet it's bigger than it was on May 18, when he should have done this procedure at much less expense to us, in his office. 

We finally got an appointment with a different ENT in Greenville that would have happened next Tuesday, over 3 weeks after the previous visit to Dr. Grant. Because he did not do his job, my husband ended up in the hospital coughing up blood and tissue. 

It is time to get to the bottom of this, and when you have to admit yourself to the E.R. to get any answers at all from the medical community, it is a sorry state. That's expensive healthcare, in a country where healthcare is more expensive than just about anywhere else, and not as high quality. We pay a lot for ineptitude. 

Okay, enough griping! I've had my first cup of fabulous coffee and a bit of toast. Time to take the dogs out, tend to chickens, and decide how to occupy myself while pretending not to worry about my husband. Blessings to you all!

11 comments:

Claire said...

Soo sorry MK!! Continuing to pray for you both...
XOXOXO
Claire Hamilton

Pom Pom said...

Praying! What a difficult time Adam is having (and YOU!) Can you visit? It's so hard right now. When he comes home, give him lots of bone broth.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear MK ~ I am so sorry to read this and will continue to pray for Adam's health and for you to be at peace and stay healthy so that you can lovingly care for Adam when he comes back home. I hope he comes home soon and that his recovery from this will be swift. Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

Retired Knitter said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your husband. He has had a difficult time.

Granny Marigold said...

First of all, I'm so glad Adam went to the ER and finally got someone to take charge of this sick man. Now he can get better at last. It's hard not to get frustrated with doctors that don't do their jobs. I'm sure we all know someone who almost died because of a doctors nonchalance.
Great find at the thrift store. Limoges for a couple of dollars!! Everything will taste better when eaten off it.

annie said...

So very sorry, hoping he gets the help he needs to fully heal.

Una said...

Oh, that sounds terrible. Luckily it sounds like Adam will get better from now on. But we are always told here not to Google illnesses. There is a lot of scary and completely wrong information on the Internet. Step away from the search engine!

Henny Penny said...

Oh MK, I am so sorry to read about Adam. Poor man. A sore mouth can be so painful and awful! and to think how long he has suffered with it. Hope he is feeling much better and can come home soon. Glad you had a nice three days in Ocracoke. I just looked at the pictures. It's so pretty there.

Back to doctors...A few years ago I had dental surgery. The X-ray machine scraped the roof of my mouth, way back near my throat which caused an ulcer to form. A very painful ulcer. I called the surgeon and told him. He prescribed an antibiotic, which didn't help. Two more times he prescribed antibiotics and the ulcer grew. I decided to go see my regular doctor. He took one look and said, don't take another pill. Throw the antibiotics in the trash. He prescribed a tiny tube of ointment (60.00) Two applications cured the ulcer. Adam's story reminded me this.

Didn't mean to go on and on. I love the china!

Carolyn said...

Grrr. So frustrating when doctors won't take you seriously! We've dealt with a lot of that with Eowyn. But the Limoges! Exquisite! I have some like it. Limoges is utterly lovely. What a sweet gift to find it for almost nothing! Keep believing.

Lisa Richards said...

Prayers for Adam! Sounds miserable. And men tend to take a long time admitting they need to go to the ER. Sorry you got such a bad doctor in the first place.
Hey, I actually know what Limoges china is! That's the payoff for watching YouTubers at the thrift store, lol.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Adam and you are in my prayers. It seems like he has been suffering for a long time with the mono, his eyes, and now this. I hope they will finally find medicines that will work well for him.

There are some doctors that can really make you wonder how in the world they have any patients. I had an ENT doctor that I went to because I could barely swallow any solid food, he gave me a really, really quick examination where he told me I needed surgery for my deviated septum, but he saw nothing else wrong.

Later that same day, we had to take my daughter's guinea pig to the vet. That vet was so much more thorough, took more time, and was more exacting as he examined a guinea pig than the ENT that I had gone to had been. I would have been better off going to that vet, who would have noticed my severely swollen thyroid gland because of his thorough examination. In the past, I have left several different doctors' offices wishing I could have taken myself to our vet to be treated instead. It turned out that the ENT I had gone to missed the diagnosis of a severely swollen thyroid gland, which was causing me to have trouble swallowing, and the fact that I had developed severe Graves disease. No excuse for his misdiagnosis.