Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Watching Figs Ripen

Warm summer has arrived. I await ripe figs and the making of fig preserves.
They're spilling onto our deck ramp.
Today I acquired a new white silkie rooster.
I have difficulty keeping roosters; either they get aggressive and I rehome them, or they jump the fence and Ned ... well, Ned.

Adam acquired a used, dead jacuzzi tub that he is determined to repair.
He wants this in winter for his arthritis. I wouldn't mind it in summer if the water is cool. It will sit in the corner next to the ramp.
We'll step into it by opening the deck, removing that seat.

I've sewn four new cloth masks for us.
I think mask-wearing will increase and will be around for a while. We also bought a box of surgical masks, which we'll use sparingly.
50 of them cost $60, not chump-change! But I'm thankful for them, and at a little over $1 each, that's not bad.
After all the kids left, I got back to painting. I decided to make a few bookmarks.
And this sweet little red-breasted bird:
I also finally got more printed cards made and have these poppies and geraniums for sale in packs of 5 (with envelopes) for $10/pack.

I was amazed when the last print packs sold so quickly, and these appear to be selling fast too.

Yet another rooster -- he is quite popular!
I'll end with two sweet pics of Kara with baby Isaac. The house is so quiet without them all.

Oh, I meant to mention Adam's illness. The steroids he took helped tremendously, but they wear off and then his symptoms reemerge. It's disheartening. He'll go back for more steroids tomorrow. In July he'll begin his rheumatologist appointments. Maybe that doctor will get to the bottom of things. It seems less and less likely to me that the mono and adenoviruses are the primary cause of his mucositis. I think his immune system responded to them aggressively, causing these symptoms. Many thanks for your continued love and prayers! It's been a long road.

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Hopefully Adam will get some definite answers from the rheumatologist when he sees him or her next month. Isn't it amazing that it's almost July?
Isaac in the laundry basket is so cute. I remember pulling my grands around the hardwood floor in laundry baskets. Couldn't do that now without suffering the consequences.
I hope the new rooster is not aggressive and stays home where he belongs. Have you named him yet?

Henny Penny said...

You have figs. I'm so glad. We had figs last year so I was looking forward an even bigger crop this year. We have exactly 2 figs on the tree. I don't understand! I sure enjoyed seeing all the family pictures, here and in your last post. Bet you do miss them all. That was quite a family get-together. Little Issac is really growing and he is so cute! Hope Adam gets some answers, and some relief from the problems. Looks like our NC heat and humidity is now here to stay, doesn't it. :) Oh, your cards and bookmarks are beautiful!

R's Rue said...

I want some figs.

Retired Knitter said...

So sorry to hear that your husband's condition is undiagnosed and keeps returning. I am sure it is scary for both of you.