Monday, May 11, 2015

A Visit to Camp Don Lee

Adam and I were invited to a Gideons International Pastors' Appreciation Picnic today. The Gideons in our county do such a sweet job of making all the local pastors feel loved. The picnic was held at Camp Don Lee. Our county has quite a few excellent summer camps. Don Lee is affiliated with the United Methodist Church.
Like most camps, it has a fun swimming pool. This one is probably full of salt water, however.
And cabins. Old-style cabins. I loved strolling around Don Lee because it reminds me of an old-fashioned kids' camp, the kind I attended each summer as a child.
And since it's the South ... a camp is full of pine trees and the heady piney scent rising from the ground when the the southern sun bakes the pine needles, day after day.
But this is a summer camp with this:
A fine, long pier and a collection of sunfishes:
A pretty boathouse:
A sailing buddy-board, just before you get on your sunfish!
This interesting building is near the water.
Sailing. Various cabins. RV hook-ups. What a nice spot!
These cabins are much newer.
Standing on the grass gazing at the river is a fine pass-time.
How'd you like to have your cabin meeting or your group devotions in this spot?
Our lunch was in the gym, a building replete with kid fun from decades of of summer antics. See the spinnaker? And the walls are covered with crazy-imaginative boards designed by campers to leave a little stamp of their camp joys. Some date to 1979.
After lunch a group of men sang for us.
Some of the campers' boards:
They're very fun, very creative, a remnant of kids' happiest days from the past 35 years.
If you look up the river, you'll see the next long pier belonging to the next camp up the river, Camp Seagull. It's a boys' camp run by the YMCA. It's a fancy camp, expensive, wonderful, very nice. But not an old-fashioned camp, I think. If you look carefully at the far pier, you can just see the Minnesott Ferry, heading to Cherry Point.

6 comments:

magsmcc said...

Makes me think of summer teams in France. Nice memories! We don't do the residential camp so much for kids. More summer schemes for the equivalent of the school day. Are American camps inspired originally by the need to facilitate working parents? Such a nightmare for may of my friends, trying to sort children out without spending fortunes in weekly activities.

Mary Ann Potter said...

I enjoyed the photos and commentary so much, M.K.! This is obviously a very special place.

Camp. I have memories of Camp Keewano on Lake Michigan. I was a Camp Fire Girl. My folks let me to go camp for two weeks when I was 10. What a wonderful time! Your post was simply delightful --- it brought back the sweetness of that summer.

Kezzie said...

I love this post! I always read and heard about American summer camps and thought they sounded a marvellous idea! We have day camps over here and my old church and new church do morning and afternoon camps for one week in either Easter or Summer. I'd also like to know the answer to Mags' question above too please!
And the swimming pool! Second blog post of the day featuring a swimming poool!!! I wish.x

happyone said...

Looks like a great place to spend some time. That is a lovely place for devotions!!
Never went to camp as a child. I was kind of a loner and enjoyed summers on my own.

Lisa Richards said...

Wonderful camp! I agree the old cabins are so nostalgic. But the new ones are kind of nice. Not too modern looking. I can just smell those pine needles baking in the sun!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a nice camp! I went to a Christian camp a couple of times as a kid and enjoyed it.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady