Friday, September 30, 2016

"Vindicate me, Lord, According to my Righteousness"

This verse in the psalms has always baffled me until today. How dare David, a great sinner (as are we all) speak to God in this way? How dare he say, "Vindicate me according to MY righteousness"?

God loves the humble. He loathes the self-deceived. David isn't righteous at all, even though he's certainly suffered a lot, and he probably had some good traits. Is David deceiving himself about his own goodness? No, he's aware of his sin. But ... "vindicate me according to my righteousness"?

There are times in life when a person desperately needs to be vindicated -- he is being cruelly treated, unfairly maligned, made despicable in the public eye. He has an enemy. The enemy has the upper hand. Maybe this person has done wrong -- maybe he's done a lot of wrong. But in this particular instance ... on this one day ... the thing done against him is utterly, undeniably, wicked and evil.

You may wonder why I'm rambling on this way. I have a close friend who experienced this today. It is crushing to my heart, and there's nothing anybody can do about it (except his enemy, who is delighting in victory). Nobody can do anything, except God. This friend is far from sinless and has done plenty wrong, but not in this area -- not in the crushing blow served him today. He is righteous in this matter, and has been made to look evil.

This is when the Christian can say to God: "Vindicate me, Lord, according to my righteousness." In other words: "Don't remember my sins, Lord. Don't bring up the things I've done so badly. But today, please vindicate me in this matter - this sole matter in which I have not done as they're saying I did."

I'm grieved, wounded, disappointed, outraged. I know God is patient, however, and He loves to make us wait. And waiting for justice is good for us. He is the eternal judge. May He rescue those who are wronged and rescue those damaged by deceit and anger.

Amen.

3 comments:

Kezzie said...

Oh I hope that the other person does the right thing in this situation. So hard to be a bystander in situations like this.x

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

The first thing that popped into my head when reading the beginning is this, Jesus is our righteousness.

I pray that your friend will feel God's love, peace, strength, healing and that he will be given forgiveness for those who have hurt him in this matter.

It's not easy, we are wounded, but with God, all things are possible. God will work all things out for His honor and glory. Amen.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

Mary Ann Potter said...

"He who knew no sin was made to be sin on our behalf that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." II Corinthians 5:21

Without becoming a new creature in Christ (v. 17-19), our vindication is impossible. David lived under the old covenant. We are in the new covenant based on better promises and provisions! How wonderful to be considered the very righteousness of God!