Thursday, September 7, 2017

I've Got a Happy Place!!!

Oh, yes I do! It all started when Julia went off to college, and I hate to say that because it sounds like I'm glad she's gone. Well ... I am glad she's gone because she's happy at college and it's good to fly away from home and all. But back to my happy place -- There's this little back room in our house, too small for a bedroom. It was Julia's "hang-out room," where she lounged, had good wifi, ate her snacks, and left dishes and food wrappers strewn around. I also keep my books, yarn, and soap-making stuff here. But her paraphernalia was clearly more assertive than mine, so I left her at it.

And then she left.

And now it's all MINE! (I've mentioned this before.)
 (((Sigh))) I simply did not realize how much I utterly needed, desperately needed, this space. Adam is right. He's been right for years; I am cut out for lots and lots of creative activity. It's what makes me happy. So at 54, I now begin wholeheartedly to throw myself into creative enjoyments. They're not tasks. If they were tasks, I don't think I'd enjoy them.
Look at all that fun! Plus tea!!!
 I walk in the room when I want to, and I paint or write or sketch.
I stitched a gold border around my Autumn Journal. Happily, I had a bit of extra embroidery floss, so I added a leaf.
 

 I keep my pens, pencils, and watercolors at hand, open, always. That was half my problem before -- being creative took planning. Everything was in drawers. Plus I didn't have a good place, a spot.
 I didn't even realize what I needed was a window, but I did.
I love the old typewriter. It used to work, but it's been moved around and put in boxes too often. Now it's full of dust.
 This cup and saucer are Villeroy and Boch, Burgenland pattern (that's for my dear mother, who has a V&B pattern of blue and white). I keep Jill Barklem's The Four Seasons of Brambly Hedge nearby for inspiration.
 I usually write poetry on my computer, but I rarely finish a poem, and more rarely put it on my blog, because so many of them are sappy and bad. Sappy poems with predictable rhyme and tiresome metaphors are a dime-a-dozen. But in my journal I can safely write as many stupid poems as I like, and nobody will know!
 I find painting utterly relaxing because I know I'll never be good at it, really good. Like -- nobody would ever pay money for my painting. So it takes all the pressure off. I look at Susan Branch's work and other beautiful illustrators, and it reassures me that I can safely dabble away and relax.
 Would you like a little cottage to dream in?
 Oh, before I leave, something practical. I had a horrid white stain on my desk. I suspect it's an old water stain, but the desk was left in the house when we bought it, so I don't know. It was bright white.
 

Recently I read somewhere (on one of your blogs?) that olive oil mixed with salt would remove water stains from wood. So I tried it, and this was one wicked stain. In the first picture, I'd already been scrubbing enough to know that a photo might be warranted. You can see the stark improvement in the second photo. With hard finger scrubbing it did fade not quite away. I'm very pleased, and what a simple fix! Olive oil and salt -- remember that.

6 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Our oldest granddaughter lived with us for years and when she moved out I "inherited" her lovely room. So I think I understand how you must feel. What fun you'll have creating all manner of things in your special spot.
Good tip, the olive oil and salt. Must remember that.

Lisa Richards said...

Such a wonderful spot to create, think, write, etc. And I like that poem! I wish I could learn that pressure-free mindset when it comes to painting. I need to paint more just for myself! Have tons of fun in "your room"! :)

Carol Blackburn said...

How lovely to have a room of your own. I used to have a studio to paint and write but it's been my oldest grandson's room for the better part of 3 years now and all of my art, etc. is stuffed into the room with my piano and his computer set-up. Someday he will get an apartment of his own and I could reclaim my studio if I don't make it into a guest room. I would have considerable space once he moves his computer stuff out. But, I love having him around and knowing he's safe when he comes home from work every day.
Your poem is lovely, M.K............and your first line is a great title. Trust me, I know poetry from experience. Enjoy your day!

Gumbo Lily said...

I am SO happy for your Happy Place! I have one in my house, a bedroom that used to be one of the kids'. I can paint, sew, embroider, sit, whatever. I close the door and it's no problem if there is stuff everywhere in there.

Good for you! I like your painting and I'm playing in paint too and it's just so fun and satisfying, isn't it?

Una said...

Lucky you to finally have a craft room. It looks like you needed it! I'll remember the olive oil and salt tip. We have an antique desk that has some strange white dots on the top. A restorer who had a look said he thought they were from chemicals rather than water. I'll work on one and see what happens.

Kezzie said...

That IS a good tip about the olive oil and salt!!! I realise, reading this, that I too need a creative space! The trouble is, our dining room table is my creative space so there is a constant mess there!! We should've bought the old house then I could have had a big space!