Sunday, September 3, 2017

Starting the Autumn Journal

 I am horrible at using Adam's little homemade books to write in, but I love using them as holders for artistic endeavors. I gathered a few autumn items from the outdoors:
 I sketched a leaf and colored it in with pencils. The paper Adam uses for these pages is not good for watercolor paints.
 I've put both packets of pages into the cover, which is made of heavy felt. I may embroider that felt ... later.
 And it's all held together with a handy elastic band. These really are wonderful little books. This one is 6" by 9".
 Then I did some more leaves I'd found in the pasture.
 

And I tucked them into the pocket Adam included in the book. The pocket is made of heavy scrapbook paper and has a flap.
And what is an Autumn Journal without a blustery day scene?

This gum ball was a challenge. 
 

This is R. Anne. She was my next subject, and this time I chose to use watercolors.
 

Adam included a little pocket in the back of the book with sheets of mixed media paper in it, so I could also paint. Now R. Anne will travel around with all the autumn art I will do.
Maybe I should write an autumn story? Or some autumn poetry? Or at least copy a few favorite autumn poems? Here's my favorite autumn poem; I've shared it before. I think I share it every fall!

October
by Robert Frost

O hushed October morning mild
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
Tomorrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow.
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
Beguile us in the way you know.
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon, release another leaf;
One from our trees; one far away.
Retard the sun with gentle mist;
Enchant the land with amethyst.
Slow, slow!
For the grapes' sake, if they were all
Whose leaves already are burnt with frost,
Whose clustered fruit must else be lost --
For the grapes' sake along the wall.

And now, after reading that again (and trying again to commit it to memory), I feel a need to be outdoors and not in front of a computer screen. See you later! I'm off to the pasture and then to the garden!

9 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Speaking of the gum ball, I'm reminded of times I've tried to draw a flower and suddenly realized just how complex it was! Enjoy your journal and the fine autumn day!

magsmcc said...

You make me much happier about the end of summer!

Granny Marigold said...

You and Pom Pom have inspired me to make an Autumn Nature Journal as well. We'll see how that goes. I don't have the talent that you both have for sketching.
That Robert Frost poem is one of my favourites!!

M.K. said...

Yay!! So glad to have enlisted yet another participant! I think it will be fun. It's just what I wanted to boost my enjoyment of this favorite season :)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely journal, already filling up with wonderful drawings, etc. Keep having fun.

FlowerLady

Pom Pom said...

I love your leaves! The blustery day scene is wonderful, too. Great idea! It's hot here still and not conducive to fall pursuits just yet. Still pretty summery. I might put on my farty boots (they squeak) and mess around with the watering hose this fine Labor Day morning.
Your book is fantastic! Well done, Adam Jack-of-all-trades!

Carol Blackburn said...

You are off to a lovely start! I look forward to seeing what other treasures you find to share. Enjoy your day.

Una said...

I'm still clinging to summer here. We've managed not to turn on the heating yet, which is a bit of a record.

Kezzie said...

This is SUCH a lovely idea- I am so tempted to join in but I am not sure I would manage to keep it up but maybe it is a good way to make me stop disliking Autumn!!!
Can't wait to see the Mushrroom!!!x