Tuesday, September 19, 2017

While the Hubby's Away ....

First off, let me say that some of your comments (sadly) are not coming through to me via email, as they used to do. So if I fail to email you a reply, I do apologize. Emailing is how I usually communicate with commenters; I rarely go back and read the comments on my actual blog post. Anywho, remember this fun pic of my chickens (alas, before Ruby's tragic demise)?
I decided to paint them for my Autumn Journal.
I'm trying to decide whether to outline them in black with a Sharpie thin-line.
When Beau is frustrated or grumpy, he nabs kleenex from the waste paper basket, and leaves it shredded on the floor. Here is an especially large example of this naughty behavior.
Adam is visiting his mother a bit, so I made dinner, which I rarely do. You know ... cook. I didn't bother with meat. The kale, the applesauce, and the tomatoes are all from our farm! The potatoes, no. Our potatoes are still in the ground.
If you care to read an exciting account of our encounter with a snake while the snake-slaying husband was away, please click here. I'll finish off the story soon. Or rather -- Ned will finish off the snake soon.
This morning the air was cool and blustery. Probably the result of hurricanes off the coast, but I prefer to say it is Lovely Autumn, coming to visit us. I opened the house -- front door, back door, and two windows -- to let that autumn wind blow through.
 I do love how our house, a little sharecropper house, is so airy, positioned to catch the breezes, high ceilings to lift the heat. It's very pleasant inside.
I'm making a new pot of chai. (Here's the recipe.) Adam says he loves how this makes the kitchen smell.
 I must get after my weaving today. I need to have more scarves to sell at the Ol' Front Music Festival, coming up in Oriental in 3 weeks.
 I've been passing the time with singing and playing my autoharp. I'm practicing "Forever I Will Love You, Lord" and the sweet "Hear My Cry, O Lord."
 But today's big job, aside from snake-hunting, is making another batch of soap. This time, these scents: Clove/Cedarwood, Balsam, Coconut Mango, and Linen. 
Now Beau says it's nap time, so we will nap during an episode of "Escape to the Country." Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I love your painting of the hens roosting.

I haven't cooked a thing in a week but soon I will have to get back into it when my DH gets back. Mind you, he's probably been served one feast after another and a week of "not much" might well be in order.

Pom Pom said...

Your chicken painting is GREAT! I love the red chicken best!

GretchenJoanna said...

Your chicken painting is fabulous!!!

Carol Blackburn said...

Ha, so chickens do fly. I found out that turkeys fly up into the trees to roost for the night but wondered about chickens. That is such a cool photo. You should frame them to sell. You know people just love chickens and chicken stuff. :)
Sure sounds like you have plenty to keep you occupied while is Adam is away.
I tried playing autoharp once but it didn't go well with my arthritic fingers. Piano is more my style. But, the autoharp does sound beautiful. You should make a video of your playing and share for us sometime. Look at me, giving you more things to keep you busy. LOL Have a beautiful day.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a nice little memento your painting is.

I enjoy a good Chai tea. :-)

It looks & sounds like you've got some great projects lined up.

I so enjoy Escape to the Country.

Have a lovely Wednesday ~ FlowerLady

Lisa Richards said...

Nice chicken painting! It brings back memories of our chickens roosting in the trees years ago. I think it's just great the way it is. I usually outline things with pen, but sometimes wish I hadn't. :) Lots of nice yarny and soapy projects. Also musical! I'd better get some projects lined up for fall/winter! Have fun! :)

pilar said...

I agree with the above comment. That painting would sell because chickens really are so charming. The photo is wonderful, too. I've just found you and have begun to follow :)

Deborah Montgomery said...

Beautiful painting M.K. You are really talented. I made 4 gallons !!! of chai for a big gathering this week. Had plenty to send home with people in canning jars.
I am hoping for some of those nice autumn breezes. It has been in the high 80s/90s here.

Ida said...

Nice painting of the chickens. - Snake hunting, doesn't sound fun.