Sunday, September 24, 2017

Jesus Lives, and So Shall I

I'm in Iowa right now, visiting family. My niece, Lorien, died on Tuesday, and many of us gathered here from very far distances to be together while we grieved and wept on each other, and then we laid her body into the earth, awaiting her resurrection. We do not grieve as if we have no hope. We believe in the resurrection of the body, of all bodies, Lorien's and ours -- that our deaths on this fallen earth, necessary and painful though they are, pale in comparison to our sure resurrection and eternal life in these very same bodies, made new by God who made them first. As Paul says, "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us."

Still, we grieve. As one family member told me yesterday after the funeral, he has never seen so much raw pain expressed as he did yesterday, and he's a pastor who's conducted over 30 funerals. Some deaths are harder to bear than others. Lorien, 22, had overcome difficulties in her teenage years and had reached a time of happiness in her life. She was, by all accounts from friends and family alike, a most sweet, generous, loving, serving young woman. She was a gifted pianist and loved music and making music with others. I only wish that I had known her better in later years, but we lived so far away. I knew her well when she was little. My parents have 26 grandchildren. Three have now passed on to be with Jesus. These grandchildren are very close. We all tried hard, when they were growing up, to get them together often for vacations and camp weeks. When I walked outside last night onto the front porch, a whole pack of them, maybe 12? were standing and sitting, relating in that way they have always done. They ranged in age from 17 to nearly 30. Events like Lorien's death only cement the bonds already there.

We sing in our family. So we have done some singing around the piano. I requested my favorite hymn about death and eternal life, and I give you the words now for your consideration. I find them so powerful, and they express exactly the fierce, courageous attitude I want to embrace regarding death, whether my own or another's:


Jesus Lives, and So Shall I

Jesus lives, and so shall I. Death! Thy sting is gone forever!
He who deigned for me to die, lives, the bands of death to sever.
He shall raise me from the dust: Jesus is my hope and trust.

Jesus lives and reigns supreme; and, his kingdom still remaining,
I shall also be with him, ever living, ever reigning.
God has promised; be it must: Jesus is my hope and trust.

Jesus lives, and by his grace, victory o'er my passions giving,
I will cleanse my heart and ways, ever to his glory living.
Me he raises from the dust: Jesus is my hope and trust.

Jesus lives! I know full well naught from him my heart can sever,
Life nor death nor power of hell, joy nor grief, henceforth forever.
None of all his saints is lost: Jesus is my hope and trust.

Jesus lives and death is now but my entrance into glory.
Courage, then my soul, for thou 
hast a crown of life before thee;
Thou shalt find thy hopes were just: 
Jesus is the Christian's trust.
Lorien Alyse Robinson
Resting in Jesus

6 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

All glory to Jesus for the hope that is within us! What a great reunion He has promised those who believe. Well said, MK! Hugs to all of you.

Angela said...

Even with our hope in the resurrection, we can still grieve. I find it hard when Christians tell me that 'If you believe she is in heaven why are you sad?' - I am sad for the separation, for those who miss the departed one, for the pain that is death. Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus knowing what he was about to do! My heart aches for your family right now, may your faith and love give you all much comfort and strength- and may God enfold Lorien in his loving arms. God bless you all - thank you for sharing these words with us

Carol Blackburn said...

Sorry for your loss, M.K. Thank you for sharing this most private of times in your life and the beautiful family you have. God's peace be yours and theirs.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm sorry to hear that your niece has passed away. It's so much more difficult I find when a young person dies than one who has lived a long life.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear niece MK.

I love this hymn that you posted!!! Thank you for it, it is a new one for me.

God's love, peace, blessings and yes even joy for all of you as you grieve your earthly loss. You will all be reunited again.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

Deborah Montgomery said...

I am very sorry M.K. Blessings and comfort to you and your family.