Saturday, December 9, 2017

He Bakes to Cope

The weather has turned cold and wet. Adam is miserable. Nothing gets him down like bad weather. Soggy, bone-chilling weather drives him straight to the kitchen, and he starts to bake. He made lovely sweet-potato rolls.
Then he made a first, and a second, loaf of Challah bread.
He came in the bedroom this morning (where I sat huddled in my chair under many layers) and asked, "Do you want potato soup or French onion soup?" I said potato. I told him, "Now don't make any more bread." I know how he is. But it was too late; he already had a batch of focaccia in the oven.
Add to that the batch of oatmeal/cranberry cookies he baked yesterday --

-- and the tray of cracker cookies I made, and it's ludicrous that we still consider ourselves to be dieting. Those cracker cookies, BTW, did not turn out like the cute facebook video promised. The saltines turned soggy, the chocolate chips refused to smear, and Adam told me to throw them out, which I did not.
In spite of our dead heat pump and temps in the 30's, we are actually warm enough with three of these:
A small house is easier and cheaper to heat and cool, even if its roof somehow mysteriously still leaks :(

The Christmas season is upon us! Last night we went to Pamlico Chorale's Christmas concert at the Methodist church in Oriental. It was lovely! In spite of reduced number and limited male singers, I thought it was a fun, sweet, pretty concert. It's so important, no matter what group you're in (church, choir, family, neighborhood) to remain optimistic and happy when people leave. Be thankful for who's there.
I'm plotting my own Christmas music, setting two songs for autoharp. It's challenging and fun to find the chord structure and make it work on an instrument with only 15 chords.
"O Come, Little Children" is a solo for tomorrow (2nd Sunday in Advent). Rutter's "Nativity Carol" was more challenging. I couldn't find its chords anywhere online, except it was in the key of D major. If I'm brave maybe I'll record myself singing and playing for you. Hmm. I might need more rehearsal.
The house is decorated at last.
 



 


I intend to continue my Jesse Tree and lighted village even without children living at home. My mother-in-law said wisely this morning that as you age you enter into a second childhood of sorts, when you may do as you please as long as you don't go to town in your robe and slippers. Much of my Christmas stuff was for the kids when they were little, but I love it still.

And that made me think that after I finish this story about Punkin and her baby mouse, I should write  a little farm story about Christmas. I understand Beatrix Potter a little; watching the small animals on a farm gives you limitless material for stories. A little sparrow just lit on my window. The chickens are mincing their way through wet leaves. Sometimes I hear a little mouse crunching away on a poison trap in a closet. Ned is afraid of the rain. We saw a small squirrel leap from tree branch to tree branch -- almost -- attempting to escape the dogs and reach the orchard. It fell quite far through the air and landed in a small apple tree, unhurt.

My little oil heater is gurgling as I sit in my studio and watch the mud puddles and the birds, hunting breakfast. I skipped the farmers' market this morning. It's 37 degrees, Adam says. 
Stay warm, folks, wherever you are!

10 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Wow! Wish I lived next door so I could receive some of your cast-off baked goods! What a boon!
We're between pastors, so I understand what you mean about being optimistic. The "old" pastor was a good friend and even went to taekwondo class with us for years, but he was offered the position of President at a nearby Christian college and after much prayer he and his wife decided to make the change. Our ranks have dwindled a bit since. Hoping for someone new with a vision for community outreach.
Your house is looking very festive! I love the nativity!
I also love your mother-in-law's idea. I'm afraid I find myself sometimes on the verge of going to town in my robe and slippers. My yoga pants, anyway!
A Beatrix Potter story does sound like fun. Just don't write about the mouse munching on the poison trap, lol!!
I wonder if anyone showed up for the farmer's market. ;)

Granny Marigold said...

I like your creche. It has several sheep. Mine came with only a few so last year I made some and this year I found a ram sheep at the thrift store so it's complete.
Poor Adam. It's hard when dreary weather gets you down.Nice that he bakes though. Right now the scent of baking bread is coming up the stairs. My son often bakes on Saturdays and little M came to tell me that "daddy is making cheesy bread...REALLY cheesy, gran".

I agree with your MIL about doing as you please even when it seems "childish.. or should that be child like? If I thought otherwise would I have 50 Teddy bears? Not to mention the rest of my "stuff"

Henny Penny said...

Oh my, could I please borrow Adam to do a little baking? :) Cold wet dreary weather gets me down too. In fact, my husband reminded me yesterday to remember those folks in California where the fires are burning...how much they would rather have the freezing rain and snow than fire. Your house looks so pretty. I want a nativity set. That, and a train set are two things I wish for every Christmas when decorating. I probably entered into my second childhood ages ago, and still there. I like how your mother-in-law put it.

Carol Blackburn said...

Snuggle and keep warm, and enjoy those lovely treats Adam is making. Soup sounds really good on a cold day like today. We had 3" of snow last night and it won't be melting any time soon. Lots of accidents around town as people panicked, even one right in front of my house at 12:30 a.m. When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter. A little old woman so lively and quick...I knew in a moment she was in the ditch. (I couldn't resist)

Gumbo Lily said...

It looks jolly and bright to me, even though it is cold at your place. Some baking in the kitchen sounds like the perfect way to keep the house cozy and warm and the inhabitants well fed. YUMMY breads and goodies.

Kezzie said...

I also wish you were my neighbour! He's got a good way of coping even if you are finding it unhelpful! I like the idea of your stories- yes, animals are very inspiring- I can well understand that!x

Una said...

I like the new home page on your blog. I'm getting a snowing effect. At least I hope I am and it's not my computer packing up. I bake more in the winter. I'm very strict and only do it on Saturdays. What I bake has to last until the following week. If it doesn't, we just go hungry!

Pom Pom said...

Baking is a good idea. Maybe I'll pull out the bread machine today, just for fun. It isn't cold here, though. The sky was so blue yesterday. I sat outside and faced the sun, soaking up some vitamin D.
I hope it warms up there soon!
Your decorations are lovely, MK!

Deborah Montgomery said...

Oh dear; I eat to cope! I would be in trouble with all those homemade goodies coming out of the oven all the time. Your nativity scene is beautiful, and yes, I carry on the traditions if "only" for the two of us.

GretchenJoanna said...

Adam's impulses are very traditional and natural, and lead naturally to layers of fat to keep us warmer in the winter! Yes, I also would like one of each kind of cookie and bun, please!

I love your homey decorations, too!!