Thursday, December 28, 2017

The Joy and the Peace

I finished reading Tolkien's The Silmarillion on Christmas night. I've taken up Touring Through France by Elizabeth Shackleton again, and am on page 190. I've also begun Elizabeth Von Arnim's The Solitary Summer.

There's a peace in living quietly, alone (we two) in our small house with our humble routine. We rise early, tend to animals, read, work outside, paint, drink tea, take naps, converse, learn, eat, relax, and sleep again. We love our quiet life.

But there's a yearning too, for our children, always in my heart -- it's love. We look forward to their coming, and we wonder at having them with us again, and as soon as they're five minutes in the door I begin to think about how they will soon be gone, and I'll be missing them again. Such joy to have them in the house! To hear their voices and hold them and discuss things and remember our family's private jokes and memories. To wrap our family identity around ourselves again like a warm, familiar cloak.

So there's such joy when they are here, and such peace when they are gone, and both are good. Both girls are gone now. My hairbrush is missing too, haha.
Anna and her boyfriend Gramm are now at my parents' house in West Virginia, and I know my mother must be over-the-moon happy to have them there. We loved getting to know Gramm. He is a neat young man, and they obviously care deeply for each other.
Here they are on Christmas morning:
 They've had a very long-distance relationship, but both have been diligent to have weekly online dates. Gramm often goes to a coffee shop near his home, and they date-chat there. For Christmas, he got Anna a mug from that shop ... and his mom got him a matching mug from there! Isn't that sweet?

Speaking of sweet gifts, Adam got us two passes to Colonial Williamsburg for 2018!!!!
 We both grew up quite near Williamsburg, and we've longed to go back there. Now we will!
It was a lovely Christmas.
 Rather nippy weather, but our 4 space heaters seemed up to the task. Julia slept on the couch to be warmer than in the little building she usually sleeps in.
Here's how the living room looked after gift-opening:
 I set the table for Christmas dinner. 
Adam cooked up a storm.
 

 My wedding crystal and china. My mother's silver.
 Lots of beautiful Christmas cards atop the piano!
 Linda and Jordane came for dinner too. Dave felt unwell and couldn't come, which was sad. He lives alone and is just a little older than my dad.

I think this year my overwhelming feeling at Christmas is thankfulness. Thankful to have my girls home. Thankful Julia has had a good semester. So thankful for Anna and Gramm. Thankful that Peter and Shani and Philip and Kara are doing well. God has been gracious to us all. 
Peter and Shani in London for their honeymoon!

Philip and Kara in Peoria for Christmas.
Today we put away all the Christmas decorations - tree, ornaments, stockings. The quiet house is back to normal. I picked up my Punkin book at the printer's, and this creative life will stroll along again. May God keep us all in His care. I hope Christmas was merry for all of you, and may the new year bring blessings and peace.

9 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

Wonderful Christmas memories for all of you. I understand the JOY & the quiet you experience. It's all good, isn't it?

Lisa Richards said...

Your feelings about the kids being home are very familiar to this mom. It looks like you had such a wonderful time! But it's also good that we can enjoy the peace and creativity when we're alone. It helps to know that all the kids are happy and enjoying their own adventures, doesn't it? :) What is that that Adam is cooking? I'll have to try making the photo larger, lol.

Debbie Harris said...

Loved this post!!
Yes, thankfulness is certainly at the center of my heart.

Blessings for a New Year ♡

Pom Pom said...

Your Christmas looks wonderful! That's a darling photo of you and the girlies.
We aren't quite back to normal yet. Everyday is grand (if you know what I mean, little lambies and all).
I have so many lovely books. I am in bookie heaven.
xoxox

Granny Marigold said...

Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas! And you've put everything back to normal already!! I'm much more apt to drag out the season. I still enjoy the lights of the trees in the early morning when I come downstairs and they greet me. We're having nasty weather with snow and freezing rain. Dark and gloomy.
Anna and Gramm make a lovely couple.Is Gramm short for anything? Our youngest son's name is Graeme which we pronounce Gray-um but many just call him Gram.

The countdown to New Year's has begun. To us it means a quiet evening like almost every other evening but many will be out at gatherings. I hope the weather is a little better by then. Happy New Year to you and Adam. May 2018 be a wonderfully blessed year for you.

Carol Blackburn said...

Thank you for sharing your precious Christmas memories with us all. You and Adam are truly blessed. May 2018 bring you an abundance of joy.

Henny Penny said...

You write beautifully, describing perfectly, my feelings too about having my daughters home for Christmas. And, our living room has looked just the same as yours did on Christmas morning! :) You have beautiful children. Glad you had a good Christmas.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a sweet Christmas post! I'm so glad you had such a lovely Christmas with your girls and with Anna's Gramm. They make a sweet couple and you can't help but see the love between them.

Enjoy the peace & love that fills your home and and keep memories locked in your heart to bring out on occasion to remind you of all you have been blessed with.

May you and Adam have a fantastic 2018.

Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

Kezzie said...

Your Christmas sounds lovely! I am so glad you had Anna, Julia and Gramm with you!!x