Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The Year of Reading

That's a bold hope. I plan to take my reading in hand in 2018 and correct my book negligence. Christmas was so helpful! I received a pile-o'-books under the Christmas tree -- think 'Jolabokaflod,' the lovely Iclandic tradition -- so I'm all set to make a course correction this coming year.
Saltzman's Portrait of Dr. Gachet, The Strangers Gaze: Travels in County Clare,
 Sobel's Galileo's Daughter, Isacoff's Temperament
The books above are ones I bought in 2017 (three left over from last Christmas!) and did not read. I'll address them first. The books below came as a Christmas Book Flood yesterday.
Trollope's The Way We Live Now, Alexander Smith's Friends, Lovers,
Chocolate
, The Lost Art of Gratitude, The Comforts of a Muddy Sunday,
John Masefield's The Box of Delights and The Midnight Folk
I'm a huge Trollope fan. I'll give away the Smith books after I've read them. The Masefield stories are lovely children's videos on youtube!
Elizabeth Goudge's The Joy of the Snow, The Little White HorseThe White Witch,
Elizabeth Von Arnim's The Solitary Summer, Elsbeth Huxley's
Gallipot Eyes, and a selection of short stories in
Home for Christmas
Lila by Marilynn Robinson is under there too.
(I also received chocolate to go with the books.) Have you Von Arnim fans heard of The Solitary Summer? I was excited to find another book by her.

These rules, found on a facebook meme (how's that for irony?) may help:
How to Read More:
1. Throw your phone in the ocean. (or keep it in airplane mode)
2. Carry a book at all times.
3. Have another book ready before you finish the one you're reading. (Make a stack of books or load your e-reader.)
4. If you aren't enjoying a book, stop reading it immediately. (Flinging it across the room provides closure.)
5. Schedule an hour a day for reading.
6. Keep a reading log and share it.
Holiday reading by Charlie Mackesy
I don't just miss the act of reading; I miss who I was when I was more of a reader. The many imaginative worlds that dominated my mind as a reader expanded my own world; I feel my world has shriveled and shrunk without them. 

I won't give up real online friendships and conversations, but I must limit them, time-wise. (What happened to the life we had before, where "news" was a small 5-minute blip in your daily life, but reading was that wonderland you filled your mind with? I'm sick of 24-hour worrying news.) I love blogging and visiting blogging friends. I like a quick catch-up on facebook each morning. I know as I limit my facebook time, facebook will limit what it shows me. C'est la vie.
woman reading - Antonin Personnaz. Woman leaning out window. c. 1910.
I may keep a better current reading log here, to hold myself accountable, and post about what I read. I must stop reading books that bore me, and pass them on. That would help! So -- what are you reading? Do you plan to read more this year? Do you have tactics to realize that goal? 
from The Tassajara Bread Book, which I bought Adam for Christmas --
thank you, Gretchen!

4 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

I LOVE that glowing painting of the girl reading by the ocean! I'm with you! I just found an Amazon gift certificate from one of my kids in my email!(It was from The Richards family, which could be any one of four or five of my kids, lol. I think they were trying to be anonymous on purpose, which makes me think it's from my step-son Trev's family. They like doing Random Acts of Kindness.) You have some enticing titles there. I'm going to go look at my Wish List. I'm thinking that gift certs have to be used for new Amazon books rather than used booksellers? I'm also trying to get better at flinging books I'm not enjoying. It doesn't make sense to waste the time! Enjoy your books and chocolate!

Granny Marigold said...

#4 If you're not enjoying a book stop reading it. I found myself doing that so often this past year that I barely got my goal of 52 books read. I seem to have less patience with authors or something. I make myself read 30 pages ( unless I find the language offends me then I stop there). After 30 pages I decide if I want to continue.
I hope you get back into reading; I think you're fairly motivated. Good luck!!

Carol Blackburn said...

Great Kitchen Prices....LOL. Hugs and kisses always free here too. So is praise and appreciation. Have a wonderful week.

Henny Penny said...

The list of how to read more is good. Yes, I want to read more. Maybe I should hang one around my neck so I will remember. My trouble is staying too busy with other things. We sure enjoyed the family being here, but once Christmas is past, I'm ready to pack everything away again.