Monday, April 30, 2018

Back Home Again

 We moved away from Mississippi in 1994. Yesterday was the first time since then that I truly enjoyed Mississippi again -- felt at home, felt I missed it.
Anna was given a bridal shower by some lovely friends of Gramm's mother.
 The shower was held in a lovely Southern home. The gifts were displayed for ladies to view, and there were delicious nibbles to eat, plus the most delectable coffee punch. 

On Friday, I drove to Chattanooga and picked up Kara. We then drove to Clarksdale, Mississippi.
Kara, Anna, MK
The shower was Sunday afternoon.
I loved meeting Anna's mother-in-law-to-be (Julie), and her sister, Claire.
Julie, Cyndi, Claire, Anna
 Here's the lovely dining table before we all partook.
 And here is the recipe for the coffee punch. Anna admitted that she does not like punch usually, and was not looking forward to serving punch at her wedding reception. But now! She adores this coffee punch and plans to serve it instead.
Here's the recipe:
 The gift table:
 This is the hand-painted Japanese platter that my mother sent to the shower as her gift to Anna. It's so lovely. It was given to my mother by an elderly friend years ago, whose parents were missionaries in Japan.
Rosalie Hassell's platter
 We had cheese straws, a traditional Southern snack. These were served at my wedding reception nearly 29 years ago.
 Anna chatted with all the ladies, including her new pastor's wife.
 Here's Anna with Gramm's mother and his grandmother, both dear, warm, welcoming ladies.
 Anna made little hostess gift bags for all the kind hostesses. Each one had a tea towel from Japan, and a bar of my lavender soap.
 Beautiful flowers -- it was warm in the day and truly spring, but quite chilly at night still.
 These two! They are marching bravely ahead into marriage. What a miracle that God brought them together from opposite sides of the globe, and has knit their lives together. 
It's no easy task to start a new life together after many hours of talking on the phone, but limited time being together. I'm so proud of them. Anna is coming back to North Carolina with me to finish planning the wedding, and we will see Gramm and his family again when they come for the big event in June.

When I walked around the house during her shower, I felt at home in a way that surprised me -- at home in the South again, at home in a deep, rich Southern culture that I didn't know I missed, didn't know was still so thoroughly a part of me. I hope Adam and I are able to return for a longer visit and enjoy again the sweet kindness and hospitality that are indicative of life here. I felt I was home again, and it took me unawares.

8 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Really lovely! How long is that drive? I know you've probably answered this before, but where are Anna and Gramm going to make their home? Glad you made it safely and had such a good time with your new family-to-be! :)

Carol Blackburn said...

Good morning M.K.......I so enjoyed your beautiful post today. As always, your gift for expressing yourself is words showed through. It made me feel as if I was there and feeling blessed to be among such wonderful company. Anna and Gramm look so happy. It's so good to see that and I hope it lasts forever. Blessings!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Lovely photos of a wonderful & exciting event. Anna looks so happy.

Enjoy finishing up her wedding plans together ~ FlowerLady

melissa said...

Beautiful in so many ways. My mom used to make cheese straws during the holidays. Always loved them, and yes, the South has a flavor all its own.

happyone said...

Welcome back.
Oh everything is lovely and so glad you had such a good time.
Wow that cake is beautiful.

Granny Marigold said...

Good to know you're back safe and sound and all went well. Anna looks so happy and has the loveliest smile!
I had never heard of cheese straws but I did look up some recipes and they seem easy enough to make. Maybe I'll give them a try soon.

Julie Phillips said...

It was a joy to get to know you and Kara! Gramm is crazy about his future in-laws and I can see why. The ladies in my church really know how to love on people and you captured the day beautifully. If you don't mind, I'm going to try to figure out how to share this so they can see it! (We are missing Anna Kathryn already!)

magsmcc said...

It's lovely to realise that this post of home-coming and acceptance and love comes straight after the negative experiences you describe in the previous post. Oasis of calm joy after bitter waters. I think you carry that oasis of home with you everywhere you go, and write x