Thursday, April 19, 2018

Canal Speed

Canal speed in Britain, on a narrow boat, is 4 m.p.h.
Image result for britain narrow boat canal
Doesn't that look peaceful?
I'm watching a new Youtube show, "Great Canal Journeys." This elderly couple have been enjoying their narrow boat on England's canals for 40 years.
Image result for tim west prunella scales narrow boat
Here they are in younger days.
Image result for tim west prunella scales narrow boat
Prunella Scales and Timothy West
If they look familiar, it's because they're both actors. She was in "Fawlty Towers," and he was a Shakespearean actor.

What do I like about their show? A few things:
1. They emphasize the importance of a slow life -- 4 m.p.h. "You can't hurry on the canal," he says. They're in their mid 80's now, and they want to enjoy every moment they have left -- to stretch the days out.

2. The wife is in early stage Alzheimer's. She's still very functional, but forgetful, and she is not the same bright, quick-minded conversationalist she was. They are quite open about it on the show. They do canal trips to help her remember, and because the wildlife there relaxes her. But two elderly people, manning a 60-foot boat? It's challenging and funny!

3. They show everyone what it's like to do nearly more than you can, when you're 80-something. And they show everyone how ordinary those "famous people" actually are. Their son, Sam West, is more famous if you watch British period pieces.
Image result for sam west
A British actor, you may have seen him as Leonard Bast in the old version of "Howard's End." But with his mum and dad on the canal? He's just a boy helping them steer, moor, and get through those locks.

Canal speed. I want canal speed in my life. People talk about living simply, about down-sizing and getting rid of stuff, and that's a good goal. But slow living is perhaps the next step after simple living. People get rid of "stuff" but still live with too much busyness, too much stress. A slow life means stepping off the highway, off the road, off the beaten path, and into the meadow. 

On their 40 years of canal trips with their children, Tim and Prunella (the couple) wanted time together. No phones. No TVs. No work. No fans. No obligations to producers or directors for a few days. Their sons remember that time. It set the course for a successful family life and a successful 53-year marriage.

Anyway, I like the idea of a slow life, don't you? You might like "Great Canal Journeys." There are quite a few seasons on Youtube. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Henny Penny said...

That first picture is absolutely beautiful. I would love to live there. You find the best sounding shows. Of course, I would never get to watch any of them on Youtube.

Granny Marigold said...

Sounds like something I'm going to have to watch. I have watched other canal videos and enjoyed them.
I like a slow paced life. I've become so solitary in my old age but it suits me.

happyone said...

Sounds like a great show. I'll look for it.
I remember Faulty Towers well. We have the DVD's of the show.
Sam West was also in an episode of As Time Goes By.
The boat moves along the canal the same speed I walk. : )

Lisa Richards said...

Oh, I see I've already watched these! I think they were made quite a while back. I enjoyed them a lot. :)

Carol Blackburn said...

Yes, I agree, canal speed sounds wonderful. It's pretty relaxed here in Maine. When we moved here 13 years ago we realized it is about 20 years behind the times here. For instance I was running back in the 80's and it had been popular for some time and it has just caught on here with races and such in the last couple of years. We have one stop light in town and only a few stop signs. No big box stores just smaller shops. We just got a chain restaurant Applebee's in 2017 and Dunkin' Donuts branched out here too. Things are coming slowly. Very few apartment buildings and no high rise offices around here. Even the hospital is small and personal. It's rather nice for the most part but occasionally I do with the city with all it's attractions was a bit closer so I could drive over once in a while. Mike and I had considered living in a houseboat before we bought this property. We were looking in Oregon though, not Maine. Quite a difference. Oh well. I hope things are good with you. Your garden is certainly taking off for the season from what you showed previously. Not much for buds on anything here yet but it'll come in time. Have a great weekend.

Una said...

Yes, I watched a couple of these programmes. It filled me with hope that life can still be good even in old age.