Thursday, April 26, 2018

No One Should Feel Small

I'd like to share a snippet of a song from Shakespeare's As You Like It, a song I sang in a choir years ago:
"Blow, blow, thou winter wind,
Blow, blow, thou winter wind.
Thou art not so unkind 
as man's ingratitude.
Freeze, freeze, thou bitter sky,
freeze, freeze, thou bitter sky.
Thy sting is not so sharp
as friend remembered not."

Is there anything more painful than to be treated as if you're insignificant, as if you don't matter, as if you're forgotten? A biting winter storm is better than that feeling.

Recently I had a small experience like this -- someone's action left me feeling "less than" -- not worthy of consideration, neglected, worthy only of indifference. Do you know what I mean? (This is not a request for sympathy -- it wasn't my husband who did this, and since he's my best friend, I'm fine.) But it was very hurtful and painful, as many of you know who've experienced such a thing too.

The experience left me thinking of all the people in the world who live a small life, with people who make them feel small and worthless, every day. How horrible! We have trite cultural sayings we banter around, sayings about smiling at strangers and being randomly kind, and how a kind word can make someone's day. These acts are more important than we realize. A friend recently shared on facebook about speaking kindly to a Red Cross volunteer who had, a few moments before, been raked over the coals by impatient blood donors. My friend tried to alleviate the damage they'd done to the volunteer, making her feel incompetent and worthless. They trashed her day (and her emotions), and left her in tatters on the floor as they stomped out.

We have four dogs. Two have been loved and coddled from puppyhood. A third one was loved, abandoned, but then adopted by us and he is a confident dog. But one -- Baby -- was in a horribly abusive home where she was tazed and kicked and beaten. She was essentially tortured after being adopted from the Pound. We received her (and I'm so thankful we did!) after the abuse. She's done so well, but the damage of those days is still there. I can tell by how she needs to be loved. Every time I go through the pasture gate she runs to greet me. She sits in front of me like a statue, looking up. Every time, she desperately longs for me to cradle her face in my hands, rub her ears, rub my cheek against her cheek, say sweet things to her gently about what a good girl she is. I could do that for an hour, and I don't think it would be enough -- she would never tire of it. She would always need more. The damage of her early days left a bottomless hole of need in her -- an eternal sense of worthlessness that all my love can't seem to fill. It breaks my heart. In the field with her buddy Ned, she's fine - she's a normal, confident farm dog. But with humans she is either defensive (with strangers) or in painful need of love.

Who are the humans around us who've been so damaged they need constant love, validation, nurture, tenderness, patience, and gentleness -- perhaps more than we can ever give? But they still need what we can give? What people have been shunned by society, told repeatedly, "You are worthless; we have forgotten you. We want to forget you"? We know them.

And what friends around us have inner damage as well? Sometimes we are brusque, terse, impatient, dismissive. We don't even think of these as serious offenses, do we? They're just part of functioning in today's rat-race, right? No ... they leave people feeling small and neglected. 

Thoughtlessness. What a grand word! It's a negative trait that results simply from not thinking of someone.  It's possible to train ourselves out of the habit of not thinking of others. We can train ourselves to observe others, to consider their needs, to ask ourselves, "How would I feel in their place?" and then act accordingly. If the person recently who hurt me had simply asked, "What would Mary Kathryn need, in this situation?" it would have made such a difference. But I was not thought of -- often, we simply don't think of people, and therefore we don't hold ourselves responsible for what we never even considered.

Each person we cross paths with, each day, all day, needs whatever kindness that social situation allows -- just a smile? Good. A greeting? Better. A conversation where we acknowledge their needs and express love? Best. I want to do more of this each day.

9 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Dear M.K., it is truly sad that you experienced this happening to you but good for all of us to be the recipients of your thoughts and feelings expressed in your own beautiful way. Sending a warm and gentle hug your way.

Granny Marigold said...

Oh how I agree with everything you've written. As one who has a very 'thin skin' I try my best to be mindful of the words I speak.
I;m sorry someone hurt you ( I know you said you weren't asking for sympathy but I can't help feeling sad for you).

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Great post MK. The whole world needs more kindness!

I am sorry for your recent hurt. Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

True words, my friend. I have said time and time again to be careful of what you say. I tell people to think of something that someone said to them in their past and what affect it had on them. The impact of a word or a comment can and has changed peoples lives - some for the good, some not. For some people, it is just words, but for others the meaning can have positive or damaging results. It hurts no one to be kind and takes so little time - just a smile can help. Ranee (MN)

Lisa Richards said...

Sorry, M.K. I tend to live that "small life" you talk about, though nobody in my life has been unkind. I have a wonderful family. But, like GM, I have a thin skin and can easily imagine that someone is offended at me when they aren't even thinking of me. I'm one of those who feel like an "invisible person". So, I usually bend over backwards not to offend others. However, now and then I open my big mouth and give my opinion and probably shouldn't. So, I hope it's nothing I said! I agree that small kindnesses done to others are important. I do try to do that, though I'm not in contact with people a lot. I hope your trip is fantastic and you return refreshed! :)

happyone said...

Sorry that someone was unkind and hurt you. You seem such a kind and thoughtful person.
They must be unhappy people themselves and I feel sorry for them.


Una said...

Great blog post. It's very sad that many people made to feel small are children who don't know any different or who can't go anywhere for help. It is painful to think about.

Gumbo Lily said...

Manners make a person nice to know. We need more kindness and more manners.

Pom Pom said...

Oh, you are so wonderful. I can't believe anyone would make you feel less than. You are the best, best, best. Paul told Timothy to be courageous, not timid and to access the Spirit of power, love, and self discipline. That really ministered to me today.