Thursday, October 3, 2019

Digging Out the Little House

We have a small concrete-block building across the yard that serves as an occasional extra bedroom. It's 15 x 15 feet square. It was the first thing we cleaned up and redid when we bought this property. You can look back on it here.
The last time anybody slept in that building was the weekend of Anna's wedding, 15 months ago. I knew that it was really, really filthy. I didn't want to think about it. But Julia is making noises about bringing friends home for fall break, and I told Adam we needed to inspect the building before anybody even thought about staying over there.
 Well ...

Termites have been working. The floor joists are rotten. The floor is giving way. Time to rip it all out. First we had to empty the building of furniture.
 It's hot and dry now, and all this furniture is benefiting from a good airing.
 I'd found some scary-looking poop in the building, poop I was afraid had come from some snake. I told Adam we might have a snake infestation. (That's my phobia showing.) Thankfully, this proved to be not so! All he found under the floor was old pecan shells. That means squirrels.
 So many pieces of wood with severe termite damage:
 The termite tunnels ran all the way up the walls. Ugh.
This afternoon he pulled all that subfloor out and then pulled out all the 8x8 joists. That's hard work in 93 degree weather!


Adam plans to take the 4x4 posts from the garden that he used for the tomato trellising, and use them for new joists. (My tomato plans for next summer have totally changed, so this is fine with me.) But before putting in a new floor, he's treated the ground underneath to kill the termites. He'd previously treated the perimeter of the building, but now he's treated the ground under it.

In addition to this little project, we have lots going on at church, lots going on in our family, lots going on with work and hobbies. Illness, travel, funerals, festivals, painting, census work, singing, piano, mowing, and on and on. Today I just added two more piano students! Yay!

I'll feel better when that little building is clean and tight again. Someday, wouldn't it be lovely if it had a screened-in porch wrapping around it, a little bathroom and kitchenette? Somewhere somebody could live simply? It's a thought.

5 comments:

happyone said...

Wow that is a lot of work. The finished project sounds lovely. Like a 'tiny' house!!

M.K. said...

Thank you, Karen! I can't take credit. My poor husband is the one doing 99.9% of the work, bless him. In the heat too! I just try to lend lots of moral support.

Una said...

We replaced our downstairs floors a couple of years ago and left the floor joists in the front garden. We soon had people asking if they could take them away. YES! Apparently, they make beautiful wood for indoor fire stoves.

GretchenJoanna said...

God bless that man!! Your little room is a great asset, but all these wonderful assets take so much maintenance. I am really dealing with that sort of thing this month, getting ready for winter...

But not to this degree, of course. Good strength to you all, and I pray the rain holds off.

Eric brunt said...

i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346