Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Old Clothes, New Baby

I can't remember if I've ever blogged about the family baptismal clothes. These are from Adam's family, not mine. They were given to me by his grandmother (his dad's mom) when I was having babies and they were baptized. Three of the children were baptized in Mississippi, and one in Iowa.  Here are the clothes.
This is the square-necked dress:
 This is the long-sleeved dress:
 This is the slip:
 And this is the cap:
 Granny and I did some repairs to the clothes before Philip was baptized. I sewed new tiny snaps on the back of the slip, replaced tiny pearl buttons on the dresses, and attached new ribbons to the cap.
There's another pretty dress that we've never used.
 At the center of the bib area, the fabric is weak and has torn.
When Granny mailed me these items (along with other old heirlooms of hers -- little-girl dresses and a couple of old items of clothing, a purse, etc.), she sent notes along with them. I was thankful for the historical information about when the baptismal clothing had been used in the past; that information shouldn't be lost. But now that I read her note, I'm more thankful for the personal feel of it, for her words at the end. Here's her note, written on a series of pink slips of paper:
 (John is Adam's dad. Marcus was Granny's husband.)
 (Granny is Mary Jane.)


"... but time slipped by." Boy, doesn't it.  

Also enclosed was a little pink cap made for Granny's brother, who lived only 2 months. He's been gone all these many years -- 115 years! -- but his memory remains through Granny, through the clothes, through the family.
She must've sent these to me when we lived in Iowa, the spring before Julia was born. I'm not sure exactly. Today I pulled the big box from under the bed, picked out the baptismal items, lovingly washed them and hung them to dry. Soon they will be worn by Isaac, our grandson, Granny's great-great grandson. 

Philip was baptized when he was only 13 days old.
Anna was baptized at 3 months old.
Peter was baptized at 6 months old.
Julia was baptized at 3 months.
I'm not sure, but I think only Philip wore the long-sleeved gown. The other three were too big; it has very small arm holes! The square-necked gown will have to do for Isaac also, I suspect. He's chunking up nicely.
I know I have photos of the children in these clothes, and of Granny and John too, wearing them. So many photos, and it takes hours to find them in the many books. Someday I'll do that search and share them. Meanwhile, I can't wait for Isaac to wear them!

7 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

These are amazing! I've never seen so many baptismal gowns in one family. What a treasure, to have heirlooms that are meant to be used for a holy purpose. These days it's likely that many people would not value their grandparents' sacramental garments, and it's lovely that you do.

Henny Penny said...

Oh MK, what a beautiful post. I love the old baby dresses and gowns and these are so beautiful. Enjoyed read the notes from your Granny. How special that your babies were baptized in them. My mother had one of her baby dresses that stayed in her old cedar chest. I now have the chest but not the dress. Seems like my sister Shelby had the dress. I'll have to ask her.

Una said...

Isaac is a bonny baby and so happy! I wish I had notes like these from my favourite relatives. They can mean more than expensive but impersonal items.

Pom Pom said...

How sweet! I love those delicate little gowns!

Eric brunt said...

i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

Retired Knitter said...

Precious family items. Treasures for sure.

Kezzie said...

I loved reading the pink slips! How wonderful to be a part of the history AND to remember that child who only lived for 2 month through the clothes.