Saturday, August 1, 2020

New Normal, and Picking Figs

I ate lunch (outside, in a stiff breeze, great social-distancing, with a mask when the server was near) yesterday with two friends who are in their 70s. We talked medical stuff. One lady noted that, after age 65, they were doing "maintenance." I think Adam is feeling that already. Since Wednesday we have been trying to adjust to the new normal of his having a serious autoimmune disease that will require diligent, life-long attention.
Adam bought me flowers on his grocery run this morning.

But you can't live there every minute, can you? No!  As much as possible, you cannot let a diagnosis rob you of all your joy. Today, we are watching Hurricane Isaias creep up the coast toward us. I enjoy listening to Mike's Weather Page on facebook look at all the models and guide us through the nervy anticipation of wondering where landfall will occur. This time, I'm hoping for the middle of South Carolina (sorry, SC friends!!!), and giving Ocracoke a break. Those poor people!

I've been picking figs. We have two large bushes, well ... really trees. Our Brown Turkey fig tree is slow to mature this year, but our Mission fig tree surprised me this morning!
The beautiful Mission figs don't have as much flavor as the Brown Turkeys, but together they make an excellent  jam. I have nearly a gallon ziplock bag thus far in the freezer, and if the coming hurricane doesn't strip them all to the ground, I'll have  a  lot more!

After lunch yesterday, we three ladies went to a local farm stand. I bought two heirloom tomatoes, and Adam will make us BLATs again for lunch: Bacon/Lettuce/Avocado Dip/ Tomato
The hens continue to lay well, about 3 or 4 each day. My new rooster is very fine.
I'm practicing painting very thin, translucent flower petals. They are time-consuming but pretty.

Our anniversary was rather a tough day. Adam got his diagnosis that day. So we celebrated small, and went to our favorite gyro place in New Bern. I called ahead for our gyros and we took them  to a park to eat in the car together.


The park is on the Neuse River with lovely views and so  many birds used to being fed. You can scatter your sandwich crumbs out the window and they say, "Thank you." The sandwich shop also has a bakery next door, so we splurged on a chocolate cupcake (for Adam) and  two cookies (for me). The coconut macaroon was so yummy.

That's all from us! Life continues to be challenging right now. I remind myself that it will even out again at some point. Meanwhile, it's good to remain hopeful and thankful.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Your painting is wonderful. I hope the hurricane does not reach you. Take your time to gently absorb the diagnosis and all that it means for you both. I have found my own diagnoses (Hughes Syndrome and Parkinsons Disease) have not really stolen our joy. If anything we seek and find many more happy times. Be kind to yourselves. I thinking knowing what the problem is, giving it a name, gives you a plan and a way forward. I hope you don't mind me saying all this. Lynn from England.x

magsmcc said...

Hi, MK. Thinking of and praying for you lots this month, what with medical and meteorological challenges all swirling you round in their circuits. It's lovely to see the moments of joy that you snatch from the storms. You, and your paintings, are an inspiration. Much love from across the tumultuous sea to you and Adam x

Pom Pom said...

Praying for you guys. Happy belated anniversary!

Retired Knitter said...

As always you painting is just gorgeous.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Belated Happy Anniversary dear MK ~ Your love for each other is a joy to see. You both are in my prayers as you deal with Adam's health issue.

Your new flower watercolors are so pretty.

Take each day as it comes, trusting in Jesus to be with you through every situation, high and low. Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady