Sunday, August 30, 2020

Maintaining Sanity; Backing Away from Facebook

 Hi, friends. Some of you are much wiser than I am and have long ago backed away from Facebook. Perhaps not deleting your account, but just backing away. I find myself so stressed out lately about conversations there of all types, most of them on other people's pages, not my own. Some about politics, but others about various cultural topics. After yesterday, I just can't take the anxiety load anymore.

Part of the damage is that my anxious mind has difficulty relaxing enough to do things that I really want to do, like reading your blogs! Your nice, peaceful, happy, creative, beautiful blogs -- just the kind of social media that brings peace! Why has it taken me so long to have the courage to back away from Facebook? Well, there are people who I only see there, dear friends, family. So I'll try to check in with them, hope they will private message me. I'll still put my blog posts and watercolors there. But I have to get away from the actual text posts that go off-the-rails so fast.

Granny Marigold mentioned a youtube lady whose channel is called The Last Homely House. She's utterly delightful and creative, and makes many of the same kinds of things I like to make! Go give her a look. This morning I enjoyed watching how to hand-sew small Coptic-stitched books.

Now for a few photos of what's been happening here.

Two new baby chicks, with Henny Penny as their mama.



Four more eggs are being sat upon, but I don't think they're going to produce chicks.

Yesterday I wrapped some cured soap, tea tree bars and lavender bars.

I'll put their stickers and price tags on soon. Planning to return to the farmer's market in September when it's cooler ... if the crowds are manageable.

I've been looking at last year's autumn "Victoria" magazine for pleasure and inspiration.

Adam's still cooking yummy, healthy stuff. He must change his diet for better nutrition for his Pemphigus Vulgaris - lots of leafy greens and vegetables. He made a delicious eggplant dish called Spetzofai, on his homemade bread.

Eggplant, onion, red bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic, balsamic vinegar, wine, a bit of sugar

Summer is coming to a close, and with the cooler mornings and evenings, Adam and I want to develop a habit of walking with the dogs. We drove to Oriental to one of our favorite old walks: looking at boats on the docks at a marina.


Below is the "Blue Bayou," which used to be a very fast racing boat. It's in a sad state now. I blogged about it a few years ago. We were amazed that it's still floating. Adam laughed and said he realized while walking past it that the name is a lovely word-play. As a winning racing boat, it could also be spelled, "Blew By You"!
What a sky!

The pair of catamarans below have been anchored out in the Neuse in front of Oriental for a few days. Just chillin'.
Still painting a little. For months I've tried to figure out how to add a watermark to my photos of my watercolors. Finally! -- I found I could do it on my phone! Nothing techy is ever easy for me!
I painted a few pugs. This one looks friendly!
Sunset last night:

That's it for today! I hope you all are well and safe from storms, fire, and pandemics. What a world we are in! And for Facebook friends ... I may return, probably after November, or in the New Year.




13 comments:

tahoegirl.blog said...

hello there,
I just happened onto your blog from The hostess of the humble bungalow. My husband was diagnosed with phemigas v about13 years ago. He was on Prednisone for quite a few years. The prednisone does really help. My understanding was this caused by a virus and the whole autoimmune thing. I also read that it does run a course and eventually improves.
So there's that. I just thought you'd be interested that someone else out there has had to deal with this. Best to you and your husband.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm so glad you enjoy Kate's blog. It's true. You do many of the crafts she does. I like her down-to-earth ways even though I don't do crafts or sew. She has been living in that old stone house, which she rents,for 33 years.

Henny Penny said...

This is such a good post, and beautiful pictures. I was on facebook once, a few years ago. I hated it...hated it! and refuse to ever go back. TV has gotten just about as bad. We tuned in to hear the weather this morning but could not stay long enough for the weather to come on. We drank our coffee in wonderful peace and quite. Oh my goodness, Adam's cooking looks so delicious, and your paintings are wonderful, and I loved seeing the boats. "Blew By You"...I like that too! You two are a great couple!

Henny Penny said...

Oops! Meant to say how cute Henny Penny and her babies are! We haven't had even one baby chick this summer. Guess that's a good thing. :)

Retired Knitter said...

I hear you loud and clear on the Facebook issue. I joined Facebook many years ago to keep up with pictures and things my adult kids were doing because they posted out there. And that is why I stay.

BUT. I did learn how to limit those things I don't want to see. I severely limited my "friends" there. After all. I can still be friends with people in real life - but if their posts are upsetting to me I drop them so I don't have to see what they post. There is also a feature that allows you to filter out sites you don't ever want to see from again. And I joined "groups" that mirror my interests like knitting groups. I also "follow" some posters who suggest recipes and knitting patterns, etc. So over time, for the most part, Facebook for me has become more positive than negative.

But backing away from Facebook entirely is a good thing too.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I joined FB many years ago, but did not like what I heard/read about it so decided to cancel and had a hard time getting out of it, but finally did. I hear friends complaining about it all of the time so glad I'm not part of it.

May you and Adam have a great week ~ FlowerLady

thismammablogs.x said...

I used to have Facebook myself and deleted it a good 10 years ago honestly wasn’t worth my time. You enjoy me time and forget the world x

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Enjoyed your newsy post. What sweet paintings of the pug and the pumpkin, which is timely as the new season is upon us.

Facebook is still an enjoyable place for me, although I'm very careful who I Friend. If folks start putting posts on there that bother me, I don't usually unfriend (if they are friends), but I will unfollow their feeds, so then I don't get the unwanted stuff coming up on my own feeds. I'm still in touch if I want to be. I hope you find your time away from FB helpful in keeping your own life more enjoyable.

I love the Victoria magazine... it's a spot of loveliness in which to disappear for a little while.

Wishing you a beautiful week ahead.
Brenda

Sandi said...

Sometimes we have to shut the world off. It lies to us anyway.

Kezzie said...

Yum, Adam's dish looks wonderful and makes me think of when I had a holiday in the countryside in Toroja del Priorat in Spain- we ate lots of similar things!
Your paintings are lovely and I am glad you figured out a watermark- I have no idea how to do this either without going into Publisher and adding text.
It's good to get into walking habits- I wish I had gone for a walk today! Stayed in all day!
I've not ever been on Facebook but I think it would stress me out!

Lisa Richards said...

I've kind of slowed down on Facebook, too. I do have kids and cousins I keep up with, but kind of skip over most things. It can be stressful. I've checked out The Last Homely Home and enjoyed it. I have so many favorites on YouTube! I binge on someone for a while and then move on to someone else. That was a glorious sunset!

Pom Pom said...

I agree with you about Facebook. Frustrating.
I watch Kate from TLHHEoftheS sometimes. It made me sad when she shared about her all time favorite book.

Leigh said...

What a delightful collection of photos! Makes me happy to see them and read your updates. I agree about Facebook. I can't even bring myself to visit the site any more. The topics are bad enough, but the lopsided censorship is extremely repelling. We all need hope in these weird times. Better to stick with encouraging people and websites!